Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

HELP! Key stuck in ignition, cant turn truck off

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Key stuck in ignition, cant turn truck off

Whats up? I'm coming over from LS1Tech and hoping some of you truck guys can help me out with a problem I am having with an 03 Envoy.

Basic story is that the key is stuck in the ignition and won't turn to the off position. You can start it up, and turn the key to stop the engine, but it will stop at the auxiliary position and will not turn any farther so you can remove the key.

Long story:

It is my mom's 03 Envoy. For Christmas I got her a car starter (professionally installed by a local shop). Works great with no problems. Like 3 weeks later she comes home and the key will not turn all the way off so she can remove it. I mess around with it for a while and disconnect the battery because I'm sick of listening to the door chime. After like 10-15min I hook the battery back up and the ignition turns and the key comes out.
Next day I go back to the shop and ask them if this could have anything to do with the starter. They said no, that if it was related, it would have happened right away because it would have meant they wired it in wrong, so either the starter wouldn't have worked, or the problem would always happen right from the start. So I took their word because it made sense. Problem did not happen again till about a week ago, and seemed to happen every time you drive the truck. With some turning the key back and forth and taking the shifter in and out of park, it would always work after a little bit. Well this past friday it got stuck, and I still can not get it to turn all the way off.

I have taken the center console out to look at the shifter because I think it is involved with this problem. The solenoid that lets the shifter out of park seems to be fine. But I did notice there are 5 wires plugging into it. 2 work the solenoid to get out of park, what do the other 3 do? Do they send the signal to the solenoid in the steering column to release the key when in park?

If anyone has any info or insight about what could be wrong, or could point me in the right direction about what could be wrong, it would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need a new tumbler, a lock smith will do it on site...
Old 01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Under your steering wheel, there is a plastic cover, a top and bottom piece where your key cylinder is. Underneat it on the bottom cover there should be a small hole. Take a Clothes hanger and straighten it out into a 4 inch straigt rod. Push the rod up in the hole and the while keeping pressure on the rod, you can turn the switch/cylinder back into the off position. This will only work if the key is foreward in the run position. If there is no hold in the Trim Cover, then you will have to pop the cover off by squeezing on each side and pulling it down. Then look with a light and you'll see a small hols that goes up into the ignition housing. Do the afore mentioned manuver and you'll be able to turn it off.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Under your steering wheel, there is a plastic cover, a top and bottom piece where your key cylinder is. Underneat it on the bottom cover there should be a small hole. Take a Clothes hanger and straighten it out into a 4 inch straigt rod. Push the rod up in the hole and the while keeping pressure on the rod, you can turn the switch/cylinder back into the off position. This will only work if the key is foreward in the run position. If there is no hold in the Trim Cover, then you will have to pop the cover off by squeezing on each side and pulling it down. Then look with a light and you'll see a small hols that goes up into the ignition housing. Do the afore mentioned manuver and you'll be able to turn it off.
Had to pull the cover, but saw the rod and was able to push it up and get the key out. Thanks

Originally Posted by Allgonoshow
you need a new tumbler, a lock smith will do it on site...
Are you sure that would fix it? It seems like the solenoid attached to it is either broke or not getting power to do its job and the actual turning mechanism works fine otherwise.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

did your mom just get a replacement key cut. the company that cut it might have cut it wrong. if she did get a new one cut.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

nope, original keys.

After some more playing around with it I think I know what the problem is, but not whats causing it. I found in the owners manual it is called the "auto lock out" which is suppose to stop you from turning the truck off unless it is in park. I also noticed when I put the truck in gear, it no longer automatically locks the doors. So some sensor has to be bad and it does not realize when it is in gear or park. Would this be the sensor/solenoid on the shifter that locks the shifter in park, or is there another one?

But for now I have it rigged up where that pin is always pushed in, so at least the truck is usable.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Possibly the neutral safety switch out of adjustment. Do the gear selector indicators read right?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

gear selector indicator on the dash works fine.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Hey friend, the problem is the Ignition Lock Cylinder Case. It included the Pass-Lock Sensor and the Ignition Actuator. I replace these alot on several diffrent kinds of vehicles. The part # for your specific needs is 88965342. GM dealers retail it at $102.22
Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Hey friend, the problem is the Ignition Lock Cylinder Case. It included the Pass-Lock Sensor and the Ignition Actuator. I replace these alot on several diffrent kinds of vehicles. The part # for your specific needs is 88965342. GM dealers retail it at $102.22
Thanks. It looks like I'm going to have to actually repair it instead of just leaving it rigged like i have it now because its throwing an engine code and the tranny is in limp mode when I tried to drive it.

Luckily GMpartsdirect has it for $60

Quick Reply: HELP! Key stuck in ignition, cant turn truck off