Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS > GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Performance Trucks!
Welcome to Performance Trucks,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #1
Trader Rating: 0
TECH Enthusiast

Default factory security system on 2002 tahoe

I have a 2002 tahoe that has been giving me alot of trouble and stranded me twice due to the stupid security system. Is it possible to take it out so that it doesn't have the security system or disable it. I plan on keeping the tahoe for quite a while. Or is better to just have the whole system replaced including the computer.
nvrstsfd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
TECH Regular

It could be your BCM.
Rob'sGMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

whats that. we had the ignition module and switch replaced. But the security light still comes on sometimes and we are scared its going to strand us somewhere bc it gives no warning of when its going to mess up.

Last edited by nvrstsfd23; 12-28-2006 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 PM   #4
Trader Rating: 6
TECH Addict

what do you mean by "security still comes on sometimes"
Old 12-28-2006, 11:13 AM   #5
TECH Enthusiast

sorry about that its the security light.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Trader Rating: 2
TECH Fanatic

to make it stop failing you can disable VATS with a custom tune in the PCM... this doesn't always make the light go away, but it will disable the security.
co-founder - 12 pack tuning
Nickô is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:59 PM   #7
Trader Rating: 6
TECH Addict

So with the truck started up and running, you are saying the security light stays on?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #8
TECH Enthusiast

let me start from the beginning. It's my girlfriend and it's an 02 chevy tahoe that we bought about a year and a half ago w/ 65,000 miles. It now as 110,000 miles. About three months ago. It messed up and would not start. You turn the key and it would start for a split second and stop. She had it towed to a local dealer and they fixed it and said it was a short. The next day we go to tennessee and on the way the security light comes on. We make it to where we were going and turn it off. I had to move it and it started fine. Come out a few hours later and it would not start. We had it towed to a shop down there and they fixed the ignition module. We found out that the original dealer did nothing but put in a new battery and cleared the light. I fought with them and got my money back and got to keep the battery. So it worked fine for a few weeks. Then it messed up again and the dealer this time said it was the ignition switch. So now its a few weeks later. We have not had any problem with it not starting but the security light has come on twice at random times. So I would rather disable the security system and just let someone steal it if they want rather than get stranded again. I need to do something to fix it because I don't plan on spending 45 grand on a new one.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:07 PM   #9
Trader Rating: 11
TECH Regular

I had what sounds like the same exact problem your having with my 2000 Silverado. It was the the Passlock sensor part of the ignition switch assembly that went bad. You have to replace a whole ignition switch assembly that mounts your lock cylinder and comes with the Passlock sensor. The ignition switch itself (which is located at the bottom of the steering column) had nothing to do with it. After I replaced, I had to go through this re-learn process. The truck started but I still had the Security Light. I ended up taking it to the dealer and I believe they said they had to reflash the BCM. If they did replace the right part on your truck, they might not have reflashed the BCM to correctly re-learn the resistance from your key. You might want to try a buying a new key also. I was told that was a known problem with the Passlock System. Hope this helps you. I know it drove me nuts when it happened to my truck. Gave me no warning when it first acted up. Luckily the truck did not start when it was in the garage.
TurboJohn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:05 AM   #10
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJohn6
I had what sounds like the same exact problem your having with my 2000 Silverado. It was the the Passlock sensor part of the ignition switch assembly that went bad. You have to replace a whole ignition switch assembly that mounts your lock cylinder and comes with the Passlock sensor. The ignition switch itself (which is located at the bottom of the steering column) had nothing to do with it. After I replaced, I had to go through this re-learn process. The truck started but I still had the Security Light. I ended up taking it to the dealer and I believe they said they had to reflash the BCM. If they did replace the right part on your truck, they might not have reflashed the BCM to correctly re-learn the resistance from your key. You might want to try a buying a new key also. I was told that was a known problem with the Passlock System. Hope this helps you. I know it drove me nuts when it happened to my truck. Gave me no warning when it first acted up. Luckily the truck did not start when it was in the garage.
The wiring pigtail needs to be replaced also, the connections are like tin foil and will fail again if it's not replaced, and yes, it does NEED to be re-learned.
BLZDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 01:05 AM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, 2002, disable, factory, ii, kind, light, passlock, relearn, security, secutity, stays, steal, system, tahoe, turns