Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Dex-cool is it any good???????

Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dex-cool is it any good???????

I REALLY DONT KNOW IF I SHOULD REPLACE THE DEX-COOL ANTI FREEZE IN MY TRUCK. i MISTAKENLY MIXED SOME REGULAR ANTI FREEZE WITH DEX-COOL!! AND I HAVE READ SEVERAL THREAD OF TALES OF ENGINE GASKET FAILURE ALL OVER THE COUNTRY . I JUST BOUGHT A FLUSH VALVE KIT FRON PRESTONE . H E L P JUST DID A WATER PUMP BELTS AND HOSES ON THE OLD CHEV 101000 MILES EH!

Last edited by 40series; 09-18-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: CORRECTIONS
Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

no big, it's not like it's been in there awhile. just flush it again and buy the prestone dexcool equivelant run it 50-70% dex don't forget the rebate online

I bought two gallons (29.00) at wallymart world found the rebate form by mistake suppose to get a 8.00 rebate
Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

get rid of that crap dex cool causes the gasket problems it turns to mud and blocks the coolant ports and the radiator, regular antifreeze is just fine. ive lost count of all the gm intakes ive done due to dexcool, good thing is the labor pays good so keep it in if ya wanna pay me to do the intake
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07vmax1500
get rid of that crap dex cool causes the gasket problems it turns to mud and blocks the coolant ports and the radiator, regular antifreeze is just fine. ive lost count of all the gm intakes ive done due to dexcool, good thing is the labor pays good so keep it in if ya wanna pay me to do the intake
It only does this if you mix the regular in with it. Most people don't know the difference and just dump the green stuff in when it's a little low. My 4.8L was perfect inside at 95000 miles, it only had dexcool it's whole life.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

the problem with dex is people believe it's lifetime

most common sense folks don't beleive in lifetime anything
well herpes maybe

nothing wrong with dexcool if you drain and flush every
24-36 months
Old 09-20-2010, 06:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brent1976
It only does this if you mix the regular in with it. Most people don't know the difference and just dump the green stuff in when it's a little low. My 4.8L was perfect inside at 95000 miles, it only had dexcool it's whole life.
also does it if it gets low and gets air in the system (not much of course). ive had vehicles come into my shop that the people beleave only takes 'dexcool' and had it be mud without it being in for an extened amount of time yes granted the longer any antifreeze is in it gets dirtier and dirtier and clogs up but dexcool is the worst. it just another way car companies get money outa you cause people who dont know nothing about cars beleave every word of what is told by the dealer and places like jiffy lube. wish i had a nickle for everytime people with 8k on their vehicle came to me and told me that jiffy lube told them it was time to flush their brake fluid. case and point is that it is ok to use something other then dexcool as long as its outa system or its a very small amount
Old 09-20-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is nothing wrong with dexcool. ive used it in several diff vehicles cars, jeeps, trucks. as said above its called basic routine maint to change fluids at set intervals
Old 09-20-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Flushed that stuff today.. Whew.. I think i got it all..that prestone flush tee is nice.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The early formula DexCool was problematic (mid 90's), but it's since been reformulated and I haven't heard of any problems with the new stuff (or so I've heard)
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Everybody is going to Dexcool. Ford is next. Its good stuff if you maintain your cooling system.

There were problems with poor quality gaskets in V6s that deteriated with Dexcool. There was a class action lawsuit on this. NO v8 trucks were included in this. Anyway no coolant goes through the 4.8/5.3/6 liter intakes.

Dex-Cool IS one of the most friendly coolants towards metals and corrosion.....

Dexcool probably has better performance on aluminum, steel, and iron and a longer life than most any other coolant. It has no silicates or phosphates to form solid abrasives (I don't think this is a big issue really) and is pretty tolerate of tap water that's not too low quality. It's pretty cheap and easy to find. Plus if your car has Dexcool already it's good to stay with the same formula if you can especially during the warranty period.

My wife and I have nearly 3/4 of a million miles on Dexcool without any issues what so ever.

But it don't mix with the green coolant. That will turn it to sludge.

Last edited by dlstewart01; 09-21-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dex-cool is it any good???????