Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Delphi/Borgeson 600/670 Steering box

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delphi/Borgeson 600/670 Steering box

The steering box in my NBS Yukon Denali is reaching the end of its lifespan. It looks as if Redhead steering boxes are the recommended choice for trucks, which I'm not entirely opposed too. In the pro-touring scene, everyone loves the Delphi/Borgeson 600/670 boxes. It appeals to me because their claim of "Rack & Pinion Valving Technology" (Whatever that really means,) they're 5-7 pounds lighter (every few pounds count right?) but also the fact you can select between 12.7:1 & 14:1 so I can quicken my steering up. Theres not a lot of information and schematics of the box and its compatibility but in my research it seemed like GM didn't drastically change the way steering boxes bolted to the frame so thats positive.

My questions are:
Does anybody have information if these are compatible?
Does somebody have a schematic of the size of our current steering box?

I will be contacting Borgeson and seeing if I can get any information out of them. I will update this thread with any future information I gather. If its too much work, I will end up going with a redhead steering box and a Borgeson ISS, but I like being a trailblazer and want to further the development of our aging GMT800 platform. If anything I hope this thread can start the topic of performance steering boxes for future builds.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Interested to hear what you come up with.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Finally got ahold of Borgeson and they weren't any help. They never answered my question if it would fit just that they have discontinued the 600 box due to the OEM support being "despicable."

My research led me to some Jeep and Durango steering boxes, I still haven't gotten a clear answer on what box series they are, but they do make some in quicker steering ratio's. My revised plan is to go to junkyard and pull one to play around with to see if it would fit or if its worth it.

I will eventually call turn one and whoever now manages Lee's boxes and see if they have any info or are on-board with giving it a shot, but I cant swing that much money right now and dont want to waste their time. I will keep updating this thread when I get new info, but I got a lot of **** right now with work and I've lost motivation and time to experiment.

If my box does blow or seize soon I will most likely try the redhead box in the factory variable ratio and see if I cant convince them to throw a larger T-bar in there to add some resistance in the steering.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Our steering isnt variable from the factory is it?

What vehicles did the 600/670 come on? I have a 4x4 NBS thats kinda in pieces already. If you can help me find what vehicles the 600/670 came on, I can assist in experimentation with help from the local u pull.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:23 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Have you seen this thread and specifically this post? ---> https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2/#post5221364
Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by arthursc2
Our steering isnt variable from the factory is it?

What vehicles did the 600/670 come on? I have a 4x4 NBS thats kinda in pieces already. If you can help me find what vehicles the 600/670 came on, I can assist in experimentation with help from the local u pull.
Im not sure if silverados came with variable steering ratios. I believe the Yukon Denalis and Escalades have them...or maybe I'm confusing it with EVO.

As far as what vehicles came with the 600/670 box, I can't get a clear cut answer anywhere. Every website I visit, the next site contradicts some of the info. The best answer I am getting is 93-98 jeep grand cherokees and 98/99 durango's with the non-snow plow option (the favored box it looks like.) It would be awesome if you could contribute to the cause and see how compatible the Grand Cherokee/Durango boxes are with our trucks. If it works, it would be a very inexpensive solution for many of us with a lot of aftermarket support.

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Have you seen this thread and specifically this post? ---> https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...2/#post5221364
I did see that post. I have the website saved in my favorites. Its something I'm considering, but the main mission of my research and wanting to go through the hassle is to get the 600/670 box not so much just getting a quicker ratio. The reviews of the 600/670 box are great. Supposedly a firmer drive along with better road feel.

EDIT 11/23/16:
Well Im an idiot...My research has led me to believe that our trucks are already equipped with a variant of the 600 series gearbox. Now the other issue I'm coming across is what are all the different steering ratio our trucks and suv's received. Im reading some already are 12.7:1, 16.0:1, variable 13:1-16:1, and even a 17.5:1. For my Yukon Denali, the most consistent info I'm getting is that it is a 16.0:1 and my lock to lock is around 3.2-3.5. I dont know if it means its variable or not, sometimes my steering feels firmer at low speed but I haven't noticed anything else. It would be cool if somebody has a reliable source or website that can share the site so I can look into what is true.

To keep the spirit alive, I'm thinking the title should be changed to "non-stock steering gear box options" and this threads purpose should be to document how the GC/Durango box swap work or other aftermarket solutions like Lee boxes, turn-one, redhead steering, AGR or powersteering.com.

My revised plan:
- Get a junkyard Grand Cherokee/Durango box and see what the process is to swap and how the quick steering ratio feels. Im starting to think that maybe 12.7:1 might be a little too twitchy on the highway but maybe not if theres a stiff t-bar in it. If I like how that feels I'll send it in to rebuilt/upgraded.
- When my box ***** the bed, send my current box or find a variable and send it to Redhead and have them rebuild it and stiffen it up with a heavier t-bar
- One day get a turn one or Lee when I sort out what steering ratio works for me

If you cant tell already, my main quest now is to increase the feedback it takes to move the steering wheel. I dislike how easy it is to move the steering.

Last edited by 1992rs; 11-23-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Adding info