Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion

Questions about fluids and filters...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about fluids and filters...

I have an '03 Silvey w/ 5.3L and I'm looking to switch to Amsoil products all the way around, but I want to make sure that I get the right fluids and filters for everything...

1) For oil filters, is the Amsoil filter better than the Wix? Also, is there a p/n for a compatible "long" filter for the Amsoil brand?

2) Is Amsoil synthetic ATF better than GM DEXRON VI? Do I need a filter with the adapter or not for a 4L60E?

3) Do the '03 trucks still use the external fuel filter or intank pump filter? What is the p/n for the Wix and is the Wix better than an OEM?

4) Is there an Amsoil gear oil that is compatible with the Auto-Trac 4x4 transfer case or should I stick to GM Auto-Trak II?

5) Is the Amsoil Anti-freeze better than GM Dex-Cool? Can it be run in our cooling systems if the system is flushed first?

Before anyone makes the comment, "why are you gonna spend the money to do all that?" it's because I bought this truck with 60K on the clock and no idea what kind of maintenance history it's had, so this is how I'm going to ensure that it continues to run strong for the long haul! Any help/info is greatly appreciated and TIA!!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can help with a few...

From what I've read, the Amsoil oil filters are supposed to be the best out there. There's a direct link to their site at LS1Tech where you can purchase their products and get a discount I believe. If you do a search on "Amsoil", there was a thread a while back where a bunch of Amsoil product info was referenced.

The part number for the Amsoil filter that cross references to the PF-59 (older long filter) is EAO64. It's definitely expensive, but claims to be about a 12 month, 12k filter with a synthetic element.

I'm not sure about the ATF, but I haven't heard any negatives. I did use Amsoil synthetic ATF when I did a trans flush on my father-in-law's Hyundai Santa Fe though, as the Hyndai uses a specific fluid that I didn't have time to locate, and the Amsoil fluid is compatible with many different manufacturers. It's been over a year and about 8 to 10k I believe, and he hasn't experienced any problems. I actually checked his fluid last weekend and it still looks new.

Last I checked, only the GM stuff will work in the AutoTrak transfer case, but that was a while ago and may have changed.

I don't have any info on the coolant for ya either, but I've been sticking with DexCool myself since it's been working well in my truck since day1 and is readily available 50/50 pre-mixed just about anywhere.

Hope this info has been somewhat helpful.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the inputs!!! Anyone else want to chime in? Also, one question I forgot to ask, is there a deep transmission pan for the 4L60E that will not have any clearance issues w/ the factory Y-pipe on a stock height '03 Z71 4x4?

Last edited by OneBadSSS; 10-15-2007 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Added another question...
Old 10-15-2007, 04:10 AM
On The Tree

Here are a couple more questions...I know that AC Delco discontinued the PF59 long filters, but apparently Wal-Mart's brand, SuperTech, has a filter p/n ST3675 that is the same size as the AC Delco PF59. Plus I read on the Avalanche Fan Club forum that both AC Delco and Super Tech filters are made by the same company, Champion Labs. Anyone else know if this is true and whether or not the Super Tech is a safe bet?

My other question is, since there is no place close to me that sells Amsoil products and everyone says that Mobil 1 synthetics suck now because they reformulated them, what is a top quality synthetic that I can get at a local store? My choices are Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Advance Autoparts and NAPA Auto Parts because they are all a short distance from my house...

Last edited by OneBadSSS; 10-15-2007 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Fixing typos...
Old 10-15-2007, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

I have been running the long amsoil fiter. It's the trailblazer/envoy filter I believe.
(I assume the above # is correct)
Just get it shipped to you, or do some searching. There are small amsoil dealers everywhere.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 03's have an external fuel filter. I don't know if wix is really any better, but that is what I used.

There is also a long Wix Oil filter that is compatable. Part no. 51522

For the tranny I would stick with good old non synthetic Dextron, as per the recomendations I have seen of most GM tranny guru's

I would also stick with Dex-cool as stated above.

I debated on the Amsiol stuff myself, but I just couldn't justify the cost. I bought my truck with 90K+ miles on it and have been using Mobil 1. ~$20 for 5 quarts at the Wally World. I think everyone has made too big of a deal out of the reformulation. For an engine that is already well broke in it is more than adequate. Not that the Amsoil isn't great stuff (I have an Amsiol air filter) I just think it is about $2/qt too expensive.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

see what you think...
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=oil

i'm using 10w-30 penzoil platinum with a super tech filter
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DozerDan
see what you think...
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=oil

i'm using 10w-30 penzoil platinum with a super tech filter
WOW There is a LOT of great info to be learned from that thread! Thanks for posting that link Dozer, I think that, after reading all of that I'm going to try the Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 and a Supertech filter and see what happens!

Last edited by OneBadSSS; 10-17-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typos...