Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulign
How many miles in are you? Waiting to hear back on what you think of the power.

Mine is sitting in back of work with some gangsta lean going on. DJM sent me 2 passenger side lower control arms. Didn't notice till the drivers side was all torn down. So I put the stock arms back on. Ran out of enthusiasm due to shoulder pain (take care of your bones kids). Got injections in both shoulders yesterday so plan on finishing the drop this weekend if the arm gets here in time. Doing this all alone so will figure out how to pull the bed with the forklift and will do the new fuel pump while I am there. Styling in the company HHR until I get the truck driving again. Starting to wonder about wheels. The big brakes are a snug fit in the 18" wheels. Thinking about factory 20" but want to wait to see what looks best. I plan on being hard on tires so that might sway me too.

Wife is sold on a turbo to go on top of this atk but not sure till I see what they do for ring gaps. Won't run too much thru it it's a fall back in case we want a little more power.

Hope yours is getting plenty of smiles to the gallon.
When i did my fuel pump i took out all the bed bolts except the back 2 by the tailgate and used my engine hoist and pulled it it up like a dump truck. Then a put a board under it so it couldn't fall on me. If take the hole bed of just make sure you unplug all wiring.

Lets here how that motor is running flying 1500.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I would just tip the bed but I am doing an axle flip and c notch in the back so easier to just yank it off I think.

Originally Posted by gagliano7
When i did my fuel pump i took out all the bed bolts except the back 2 by the tailgate and used my engine hoist and pulled it it up like a dump truck. Then a put a board under it so it couldn't fall on me. If take the hole bed of just make sure you unplug all wiring.

Lets here how that motor is running flying 1500.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Any updates on how this thing is running?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Any updates on how this thing is running?
Sorry gents, been on vaca in Eastern Washington for the last week. I still only have about 50 miles on the engine. I havn't hit wot yet, but it pulls strong when I do romp on it. Just threw a P1074 code, so I'm going to be chasing that down next.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

We have time..but keep driving!

Big setback on my truck. Come to find out there was a weird dimpled frame thing going on in 99-00. No way I was going to try and bolt these DJM notches on that section of frame. Belltech makes a set. I have them on order but who knows when I will actually get them. The ability to just step into the truck will make it worth it in the end I guess. But it looks sad right now haha.
Attached Thumbnails Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread-sadtruck.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Any updates ?
Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM
On The Tree

I'm curious too.

I decided to go a different route for mine and called Thompson Motorsports. I ordered a LS3 head 370.

Lets hear about this ATK
Old 08-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Any updates ?

Vacuum leak fixed, I have almost 500 miles on it now. I call it the beast! It pulls strong all the way to the shift points at 6k. Gas mileage sucks, but I think that's because my foot is in it all the time. Best I've seen so far is 13mpg. As far as ATK being better than Thompson or any of the other engine builders out there, I can't say. ATK's price included shipping and no core charge, so that was a huge plus for me. No regrets, although I'm sure if I put a new tq converter with a 2600-2800 stall I'd be smiling even more, but that'll have to wait until it pukes. My trans temps seem to be a bit higher than before, but then again it is summer. My plan next is to do the tru cool 40k install to keep the tranny as long as I can. Hope that helps. Cheers!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Good to hear it's doing well!

The only reason I went with the Thompson was they had more options. When I contacted ATK they acted like they wanted to just do that build.

On mine I was worried that the 4x4 would eat a bunch or that HP and not be enough fun. So the motor I ordered is forged and ready for turbo, just in case. This motor will be close to the 600hp mark. Hopefully the rest of the truck will be up to the task. Although there won't be much original but body.

My trans is built and I have 3200 Circle D stall and 40k cooler as well. Next thing on the list is getting my front diff regeared to 4.10 to match the rear I just had done. Then ordering a Holly Hi Ram. Clock is ticking for me...winter will be hear soon and this is my daily.

Any plans to dyno yours? How are you watching the trans temps?

Did you have to tweak on the tune at all? Running a wideband?

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Any plans to dyno yours? How are you watching the trans temps?
I would like to pop it on the dyno just to see where I'm at and weather the tune is as good as I think it is
Did you have to tweak on the tune at all? Running a wideband?

Thanks for the update.
No tweak yet. I would like to get a wideband installed and will probably do that just before I get it up on the dyno.

Your forged motor sounds like it will be badass! How much was it? Cheers!

Quick Reply: Yet another 5.3 to 6.0 swap thread