Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Wideband install location? passenger or after merge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wideband install location? passenger or after merge?

So I just got my headers and ORY in the mail. I am trying to figure out where to install the wideband bung. Initially I was thinking I would just put it on the driver side right after the header collector . Then I was wondering if it would be best to have the wideband sensor installed where it would get exhaust from all cylinders and install it after the merge on the Y pipe just before the muffler cat back bolts up. I have an AFR500 and per the install instructions is says to mount between 12" and 48" from the engine. On the driver side I would be roughly 30" from the engine but only hitting the driver side exhaust. If I put it after the merge I will be 30" from passenger side and 60" from driver side.

Now that I am typing this it seems like if I go after the Y merge I will not have equal length piping and it will skew the results since once side is twice as far as the other...

What you guys think? I am leaning towards my initial choice of going driver side only at about 30"

thanks
_Zblee

Last edited by zblee; 07-28-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

I say drivers side in the rear o2 bung spot because you arent running a cat converter.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FFDP
I say drivers side in the rear o2 bung spot because you arent running a cat converter.
I dont have a current 02 bung spot, so I am assuming you are referring to my option of "my initial choice of going driver side only at about 30" ?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

driver side on the collector if you can. driver side is more prone to going lean and you want it to not be close to anything that can potentially leak i.e. the collector to y pipe.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

i run mine on the drivers side header collector
Old 07-29-2015, 11:06 PM
Launching!

the headers already have a bung for the 02 narrow bands, you guys just put a new bung next to the existing sensors? is there a minimum distance that need to be placed between them to ensure no interference between the two? I wouldn't think they would affect each other but I am not sure on this.

thanks
_Zblee
Old 07-30-2015, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

yep, just add a second bung. mine are a couple inches apart
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, ended up taking your guys advice and added a second bung to the driver side header collector. I held up the header where it would be installed, checked to see where would be best for clearance and marked the headers appropriately. Took the header to my buddies shop and he was able to weld the bung where I wanted. Turned out great now I just need to install it !

_Zblee

Name:  IMG_1560_zpsm94nspml.jpg
Views: 4537
Size:  320.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1561_zpslcg4gsxx.jpg
Views: 4617
Size:  309.4 KB
Old 08-01-2015, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Ouch, he butchered that stainless. I'm a welder for a living so it's hard to not scrutinize welds (most assuredly my own first). There is a star crack in that second picture though. Might want to have him wash back over that with his tig rig. Did you purge the header? If not (that weld is really dark indicating a lot of heat input) the weld has now contaminated the back side of the collector directly under that weld. It will be a black, precipitate looking substance. Use an end grinder with a burr bit to grind the contamination out. That could restrict flow depending on how much heat input occurred with no backing gas.

If you have a chance look at the thread I made regarding my headers. I used a set of cheaper headers and bought a merge collector kit. Turned out pretty nice.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:47 AM
Teching In

Unless there is a leak, nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Wideband install location? passenger or after merge?