Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when water pumps go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So hows the turn out Thunder? I read alot on this thread, one thing I noticed is that you have the clutch fan in there... From my personal experience with my new motor, With the clutch fan (no other mods to cooling) and 165* t-stat, my temps would idle around 196-215* in 80* weather. When I changed to the e-fan my highest temp was 200* Not a huge difference but was enough to make a difference. Also when I put in my fluid, even though it says "fill cold" on the line in the resevoir, I fill mine with the engine at an idle. Once the stat opens up, al the fluid that was once inside the resevoir is completely empty, so I fill it again to force more coolant into the motor and air out of it. I let it sit there at an idle until there is no more change in the level of coolant in the resevoir. Then cap it and go, eventualy if there is too much coolant in the system it will drain itself through the overflow, but at least you know its draining liquid and not air. Ayway after getting this all squared away, my highest temp i saw (new motor, stock 27" radiator,oil cooler, tranny cooler, efans,165*tstat) was 196* <<Then I found out that one of my fans wasnt even working, and it still ran cooler in the same temp outside!!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still haven't swapped back to the stock stat. I actually haven't driven my truck much in the past month. I'm slowly working the bugs out of the turbo setup.

I have had much better luck with the clutch fan than with the e-fans. I agree that e-fans rock for idle and around town driving, but for towing (which I do on a regular basis during the lovely Phoenix summers) they suck. Plain and simple.

I have drained and re-filled my cooling system so many times that I'm sure there is no air in there. I've tried every trick in the book. I usually fill it with the truck off, then start it up, let it heat till the t-stat opens and the overflow tank empties, then refill at idle till that stops, then load up 2 gallons of 50/50 mix and go for a drive. Get her up there in RPM's a few times, then stop and refill. Repeat until the overflow tank level stops dropping.

One of these days I'll get around to swapping the stat back to stock and I'll report back whenever that happens. I'm trying to get rid of the oil burning issues right now.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jesus man yeah sounds like you have alot to work on there. Good luck, I'm interested to find out how the setup turns out when youre done. I know how it is though, I just finished the swap myself. I'm just fearing the part when i get the turbo installed like you've already done. I'm sure I'll be bugging you for advice as I have many other times