Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to replace fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace fuel pump?

I'm hearing a whining sound coming from my fuel tank when the truck is running. Has 1/3 tank of gas. I think it's the stock fuel pump with 112,000 miles on it. It's a 99' btw.

I know it's easier to take off the bed. So after that what do you do? Is therre any write ups with step by step directions and pictures? I have absolutley no idea how to do this and was thinking about getting it done somewhere...
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

First of all, you need to make sure it is the fuel pump. Have you changed your filter lately? if that is plugged up, then the pump could be trying to push harder. I would change that first, then I would check your fuel rail pressure to make sure you actually need one. If your pressures are in spec, then you don't need a pump. I have always heard the pumps make that noise, so you might not actually need one.

As far as changing the pump, you can lower the tank, or remove the bed. Raising the bed up might end up being easier than dropping the tank. Once you can get to the fuel lins and the cap that is on there, it should be pretty straight forward.
Good Luck.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking off the bed is easy. Take the tailgate off first, undo your gas neck/filler tube from the bed side, and its grounding strap. Goto the rear look under and follow the tailight harnesses till you find the connector and undo it, look to make sure the harness isnt attached to the frame anywhere, if so unhook it. Go under the bed, and there's either 6 or 4 bolts/nuts holding the bed to the frame, undo them. Get some buddies over, and lift the bed straight up, clear the rear bumper, and walk it back. Then tear into the fuel pump. Also you gotta drive the truck around for a day or so without the bed, for ***** and giggles.. :p
Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

the fuel pump either works or it doesn't . . . . it's a ton of manual labor to drop the tank, not to mention if there's fuel in it already. Just lift the bed up.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Yeah that's true most of the time, I've notcied GM pumps to be loud as is anyway. Some pumps of cousre will make alot of racket before they crap out.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

with 100kmiles+ on your truck I would swap the fuel pump anyways, I drop the tank on mine, it was fairly easy but it did only have about 4-5gals in there... as far as the pump itself I had a good buddy helped me out since he had done it on his truck before... do a search cause there is a few write ups with pics on here somewhere...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just did mine this past weekend. I ran the truck till the low fuel light came on, then maybe an additional 10 miles or so. Dropping the tank was actually pretty easy. If you remove the rear driveshaft there's enough room between the tank and the muffler to get your head up in there, and you can see the lines and connectors you need to disconnect. Then unbolt the filler neck, as stated above, support the tank with a jack or something, and undo the one bolt on each strap and remove them, then the tank is free. If you run the tank pretty dry ahead of time the tank is very light.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didnt have to remove the driveshaft, I just lowered the tank slowly until I could see the fuel lines to disconnect them comfortably...
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I made a a bracket to hook onto my forklift for my bed. It is a metal square that has 4 chains on the corners with 4 hooks that go into the inside loops of the bed. Take the tailgate off, run the fork lift close to the truck, drop the square down and hook up the hooks. Pop out the bolts in the bed, undo the filler neck, then hit the raise lever on the fork lift. I dropped the tank on one truck laying on my back, and swore I would never do it again. It was for a buddy of mine and the truck was about half full of gas when the pump went. Never again!!!
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slowprocess
I made a a bracket to hook onto my forklift for my bed. It is a metal square that has 4 chains on the corners with 4 hooks that go into the inside loops of the bed. Take the tailgate off, run the fork lift close to the truck, drop the square down and hook up the hooks. Pop out the bolts in the bed, undo the filler neck, then hit the raise lever on the fork lift. I dropped the tank on one truck laying on my back, and swore I would never do it again. It was for a buddy of mine and the truck was about half full of gas when the pump went. Never again!!!
I love the cars where you pop out the lower rear seat, remove a cover, and there it all is :p

Quick Reply: How to replace fuel pump?