Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Volant CAI on otherwise stock LQ9 - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Volant CAI on otherwise stock LQ9 - worth it?

Bought an '06 Silverado SS that is pretty much bone stock other than someone put a Volant CAI on it. Filter was absolutely ruined, packed with dirt beyond cleaning it. Found out what a PITA it can be to get the exact right replacement filter to fit properly in the box. So for now, I have one that just barely doesn't fit, so I temporarily removed the box and just have the filter sitting in the open (hot air induction!) hooked to the Volant tube.

Not sure if this is original or not but the Volant box has an extra cut-out in the side, which surprised me. Almost wonder if the previous owner did this for some reason. This is a square box too, not the angled one like you see in the pics if you look one up today.

All things considered should I just go back with a stock air intake (which I know is also "CAI") or get the correct filter so I can put the Volant box back in place? Is there REALLY a difference between it and the stock setup, on a stock engine, or is it just marketing hype?

Richard
Old 11-11-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

To me, not a difference you can feel in the butt dyno.

Even when you are moving, the air rushing past the headlight/grill will still hit the filter and should be within 10-15 degrees of ambient.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:46 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

There is a slight difference. It up to you though to decide if it's worth the $$$ for small HP gain.

I know they changed designs at some point because a friend at the time put one on and I thought it was neat that it had a carbon fiber style lid. A few months later I went to look into them and I noticed they changed the design and the lid looked more like a composite piece with graphic overlay to give it a screen type appearance.

That being said. A standard box with an Airaid Jr kit has proven to be more effective on the dyno than some CAI systems over a bone stock factory air intake setup.

Good luck. I received a K&N kit on my latest purchase but the filter was crushed. For some reason People seem to think the Stock intakes are worth $$$. I can only assume that's because of smog purposes or something. I can replace the K&N filter for less than what most people want for a stock box, at least in my area...
Old 11-11-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Waste of $$ imo
Old 11-12-2015, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
A standard box with an Airaid Jr kit has proven to be more effective on the dyno than some CAI systems over a bone stock factory air intake setup.
Didn't know about the Jr., looks like it's a tube that replaces the factory piece and a fancy drop-in filter media yeah?

I wonder how many other applications this particular OEM box was used on. All 6.0's? Other engines, too, and what years? There are so many trucks being parted out around here you think I'd be able to find a reasonable stock box.

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Waste of $$ imo
Yeah...I'm hip. It's already on the truck; previous owner bit that bullet.

Richard
Old 11-12-2015, 12:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Didn't know about the Jr., looks like it's a tube that replaces the factory piece and a fancy drop-in filter media yeah?

I wonder how many other applications this particular OEM box was used on. All 6.0's? Other engines, too, and what years? There are so many trucks being parted out around here you think I'd be able to find a reasonable stock box.

Yeah...I'm hip. It's already on the truck; previous owner bit that bullet.

Richard
Yes on the Jr. kit. the factory tube necks down and has some restrictions as well as a baffle. Jr kit is a straight through design.

The box was used on All GMT 800 platforum vehicles including Trucks and the SUV Variants.

Tahoe's, Suburbans, Avalanche, Trucks. As long as it had a V8 it would be the same Box. The Tubes are a little different on some years, but the box is basically the same.

It shows assembly fitting up to 2009 on some applications including the 8.1L

GM part number 25873812 Air cleaner box assembly.

Box arrive ok?
Old 11-12-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep! Haven't opened it yet since you warned me about all the packing peanuts. Box is in top shape so no worries about the handling. I'll open it whenever I can get around to making up some brackets and doing the install.

Thanks for the info on box compatibility. I don't see laying out $200 for the Jr. kit so I'll see what I can do with what I have, or maybe a stock box.

Any ideas on the hole cut in the side of the Volant box? Ever have one of the older ones in hand (square design) and notice this? It's where it meets the fender. Can get pics if needed, though it's up on a shelf with a ton of crap blocking my access at the moment. The hole kinda shoves against the sheetmetal so while it isn't anywhere near an airtight seal, it's not really a challenge to the wide open intake hole below. I suppose I could come up with some way to block it off if needed, and order the correct sized filter for it. That's probably my most cost-effective way out of this, at about $85 for an Airraid non-oiled, cleanable filter.

Richard
Old 11-12-2015, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

get filter from these guys, good price.
Green Filter USA - Official Site

I recently swapped my modded specter over to a Volant system and gained a engine bog from 2-2800 rpm.
This is on a aggressively tuned stock 06 5.3 with 1 3/4" headers and a mild catback.
Drove it for 2 weeks just to make sure it wasnt a "in my head" kinda thing.
My IAT's went up aswell. No I did not re-tune.
Swapped back to my Specter and the bog went away.

Have a buddie with a 04 yukon, 5.3 Bone stock other than a volant. he has the same engine bog.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$60 ebay intake FTW!!!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:07 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by someotherguy
Yep! Haven't opened it yet since you warned me about all the packing peanuts. Box is in top shape so no worries about the handling. I'll open it whenever I can get around to making up some brackets and doing the install.

Thanks for the info on box compatibility. I don't see laying out $200 for the Jr. kit so I'll see what I can do with what I have, or maybe a stock box.

Any ideas on the hole cut in the side of the Volant box? Ever have one of the older ones in hand (square design) and notice this? It's where it meets the fender. Can get pics if needed, though it's up on a shelf with a ton of crap blocking my access at the moment. The hole kinda shoves against the sheetmetal so while it isn't anywhere near an airtight seal, it's not really a challenge to the wide open intake hole below. I suppose I could come up with some way to block it off if needed, and order the correct sized filter for it. That's probably my most cost-effective way out of this, at about $85 for an Airraid non-oiled, cleanable filter.

Richard
Never had one in my hand. Pictures would be helpful if you get a chance.

Quick Reply: Volant CAI on otherwise stock LQ9 - worth it?