Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 to V8 swap for '86 C10

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a glance, and "guess-timating" on how things'll sit, there's a slim possibility that I'll be able to re-use the stock DS. Would be nice, but won't be 100% sure until I drop everything in. Hopefully, that'll be before (or on) Friday. Temp's dropped to the low to mid 30's. This morning, it was 37*, and it's forecasted to drop a bit lower tonight. No hoistin' today!

On a mounting note, I bought a new set of the V6 mounts (three-bolt design), and did NOT move the brackets. After I sanded the crossmember, I noticed the bolt holes on the crossmember brackets wouldn't line up if I moved them. This created a bit of uncertainty for me, until I took a few minutes to whip out my trusty tape measure. After a few satisfactory measurements regarding mounting position & depth, I'm a bit more confident about it's position. The conversion plates mounted to the block. Took some work, but at least I didn't have to drill out pre-existing holes (huge plus). Gotta get a trans mount special ordered. No one has in stock (sucks). I'll know more once I get it hoisted in.

I hear ya about the 4.3! I didn't leave mine in b/c I needed to get this thing cleaned out, and ready. Plus, I'm shooting to have this completed by March 1, 2006. With a price of $300 intake to oil pan, including the PS pump, AC comp, and alt, surely someone will find it a bargain. All I recommend is that the valve cover, oil pan, and main seals get changed. Ran good, but I want much more power. BTW, it was a carb'd setup.

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 12-19-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:54 AM

beer... the fan's off. If ya want it, it's yours. This'll give me more motivation to get the e-fans & graft a harness for it.

BTW, had a time with mounting the 5.3 in an OBS truck that originally had a V6 in. The frame brackets were a bit different. There's no way to relocate the V6 frame brackets. I was lucky enuff to find the first junkyard I called had the same style truck, but with V8 brackets. After 30 minutes of haggling with the guy running the yard, I was able to commandeer a forklift to lift the fairly new GM Performance 350 up. After 2hrs, I was on my way home, cleaned, sanded, and primed the brackets, only to find the mount-hole distance didn't line up with the 350 mount brackets on the block. Had to slot the frame bracket holes by 1/2" on each side. Will try to bolt in the engine again this weekend.

Couldn've paid for a hoist w/ what I've paid to rent them all this time.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

ZRO26T, I'll PM you about the fan. I am fine with the bi-metal instead of electrics.

Can you post pics of the adapter brackets that BRP sent you? I got some sketches from another guy that made up some brackets from a magazine pic, and they look the same as mine. The lower 305 engine bracket uses the front lower boss on the Gen-III block. I'll take a pic if I get back into the shop today.

The issue I have is that the measurements don't add up to me. When I measure between the LT1 I have in the shop, and the Gen-III I have, that lower front mount location is about 30mm different when measure from the bellhousing mating surface on the back of the block. It was late last night (2:00 AM), so I might be confusing the heck out of myself. Since I am going to be running an LS1 auto trans, I am not sure where I will end up. I guess I'll just have to yank the 4.3L, and mock it up. Good thing I have a spare bare LS1 block to do the mocking..
Old 12-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Launching!

it was fun!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 AM

beer... I don't think (or I can't remember) I took pics of the brackets (can't find). I thought I had those, but guess I'm wrong. If memory serves, folks were telling me that BRP's and S&P's brackets were slightly different. I'll sit and think of what I have, and can sketch up something so you have a general idea of where BRP's holes are located on the brackets.

Originally Posted by slamed350
it was fun!
Yes, sir... I think ya'll got kicks outta be being so "giddie".

Guys (& gals), guess what took about a half-hour to drop in yeasterday morning:

Brackets (Upside Down) with slotted holes (THANKS, CHAD!!!!)
Name:  V8LHBracketUpsideDownZoom.jpg
Views: 1841
Size:  75.3 KB

Brackets spotted in place
Name:  V8Brackets.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  86.3 KB

Front of motor clears enuff for radiator & e-fans
Name:  FrontClipClearance.jpg
Views: 1811
Size:  102.0 KB

A/C Compressor has some breathing room
Name:  ACCompressorClears.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  77.5 KB

Intake (rear) clears firewall w/ lots o' space
Name:  RearIntakeClearance.jpg
Views: 1836
Size:  88.6 KB

Pass-side mount point
Name:  RHMountPoint.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  79.4 KB

V6 bracket holes
Name:  V6BracketHoles.jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  63.9 KB

V8 bracket holes
Name:  V8BracketHoles.jpg
Views: 1787
Size:  65.7 KB
Old 01-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Launching!

Looks like the truck AC fits better than the F-body setup, the hoses look like they are a bit more work. Have you tried the exhaust manafolds yet?
Old 01-01-2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by GMChasLS1
Looks like the truck AC fits better than the F-body setup, the hoses look like they are a bit more work. Have you tried the exhaust manafolds yet?
AC lines shouldn't be hard. I need to get some made for my setup though. There's about 1.0" - 1.5" of cleareance where the AC lines connect to the compressor. Yes, in trucks, they fit. F-bodies require relocation, unless you're good w/ notching & boxing frames to reinforce strength.

Exhaust manifolds should be no problem. As you can see in the pic below, I was planning on using Pacesetter LTs, but ran into some clearance issues on the driver side (motor mount bracket - 0.5" notch required & bottom frame lip - 1.0" notch required). I'm wondering if other style LT's will work. I've got some thinking to do.
Name:  NewTruckStance.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  70.0 KB

Last edited by 95ImpSS; 01-01-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Here is mine with the f-body setup.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:58 AM

Yep... I see some notchin's been done. Got any other pics? I was thinking LS1 instead of 5.3, but was convinced to stick with the 5.3. May graduate to the 6.0 when the 6.2s start floating around enuff, til the older 6s are cheap enough to warrant spending the time & money. Got a couple buddies talking about the 6.2s & 6L80s. Not willing to spend $3K on a 6-spd.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZRO26T
beer... I don't think (or I can't remember) I took pics of the brackets (can't find). I thought I had those, but guess I'm wrong. If memory serves, folks were telling me that BRP's and S&P's brackets were slightly different. I'll sit and think of what I have, and can sketch up something so you have a general idea of where BRP's holes are located on the brackets.

Front of motor clears enuff for radiator & e-fans

Pass-side mount point

Looking at those brackets, they are nothing like what I have. I don't have the AC bracket on the motor, but my mount bracket does not look right IMO.

I'm gonna run out and take a few pics of the bracket.

Quick Reply: V6 to V8 swap for '86 C10