Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The Unfixable Knock Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Get the tune gone through first, before you replace the ecm!!
Would I just take it back to my tuner for that? Because I called him and his words were "nothing in that tune will be causing that to happen" and had a bad attitude about it.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like id be finding another tuner!!!
Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like id be finding another tuner!!!
I would just have it set back go stock to see if it goes away, but I had the rear o2 sensors removed on the tune as well as the egr system. I'm not quite sure how to go about the whole situation because of that.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

They can turn the egr and rear o2s off and put everything else back to stock...
Old 04-25-2016, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

They can turn the egr and rear o2s off and put everything else back to stock...
I may go and have that done Tuesday. The really question is though, is if he will actually change the tune or just plug his computer in and act like he did something? He seems to be the type that would do that. I've heard of another local Ls tuner that is "good" may give him a try.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Think i wuld have a second set or eyes on it at this point
Old 04-25-2016, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimpinpete
I go to Brett at XP Racing here in Oklahoma city. He uses HP tuners. I'm not really too fond of his tuning anyways, believe it or not my truck ran better on the Diablosport can tune than his dynotune. Also where can I find a new ECU for my truck? I believe that may be the cause of the problem.
LOL I hear that alot.

Would I just take it back to my tuner for that? Because I called him and his words were "nothing in that tune will be causing that to happen" and had a bad attitude about it.
He's right about that.

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Knock Sensor (KS) system detects engine pre-detonation. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) retards the spark timing based on the signals from the knock sensors. The knock sensors produce an AC voltage when specific frequencies are detected. The knock sensor voltages are an input to the PCM. The amount of AC voltage produced is proportional to the intensity of the knock.

An operating engine produces a normal amount of engine mechanical vibration. The knock sensors produce an AC voltage signal from this noise. When an engine operates, the PCM learns the minimum and maximum frequency of the noise that the engine produces. When the PCM determines that this frequency is less than or more than the expected amount, a knock sensor Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) sets.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

The engine speed is between 1,500 RPM and 3,000 RPM .
The MAP is less than 44 kpa .
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) is more than 60°C (140°F) .
The throttle angle is more than 0.5 percent .
The engine run time is more than 20 seconds .

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The PCM determines that this frequency is less than or more than the expected amount for less than 3 seconds .

I may go and have that done Tuesday. The really question is though, is if he will actually change the tune or just plug his computer in and act like he did something? He seems to be the type that would do that. I've heard of another local Ls tuner that is "good" may give him a try.
I can turn your codes off. I do it all the time. 99.99% of the time the knock sensors work fine, just fail the diagnostics. they are off on my truck. I can also look at your tune and can show you what was done. If you want to try another PCM you can get them for $25 at LKQ or $40 at A&A Salvage if they have one. They usually do. Any red/blue connector PCM will work. As long as Bret didn't lock the tune I can read it and flash it into the replacement PCM. You will have to do a VATS relearn.