Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals vs mbrp

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals vs mbrp

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get. I was set on longtubes and speed engineering true dual exhaust kit but, I'm not sure it will fit on my 03 tahoe so I've been looking at 3" catbacks with longtubes and a offorad y pipe and mbrp seems like a good deal. Im just not sure if it would sound good, so I'm trying to get opinions on what others think.

On another note if anyone has a used corsa catback for a 2003 tahoe let me know. Id really like to have corsa but I'm not paying a $1000 for a cat back lol

Or another thought is getting longtubes o/r y pipe and just getting a round borla xr1 and getting a shop to weld it in and dump it before the rear end

I want something that sounds like this

And this but louder

And not this I hate the typical truck with straights and 5 in tips country boy sound haha

Update: I was gonna try to get opinions on this idea I was thinking about just making my own cat back. I found a 3" intermediate pipe "walker exhaust 52190" on summit it's suppose to be 3" pipe and I think the same one used on a dynomax catback, so I don't have to use the stock one and a round borla xr1 sportsman 40085 and a 12" long turndown. With speed engineering longtubes and off road y pipe

Last edited by 03hoe5.3; 05-01-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I have hward mbrp systems i really liked and others that just annoyed the hell out of me which may have just been my mood that day!! Lol... Honestly dont see why the SE dual kit wouldnt work as it dumps before the rear axle and that is where the suv rear suspension hindrrs running the exhaust over the axle, just because everything is so tight back there compared to a truck leaf spring suspension....
Old 04-27-2016, 10:19 PM

Same here on the sound of mbrp, but it's the only other catback that really interested me other than corsa but corsa is to dang expensive, and I may still go with true duals from se but it just has me worried to spend 400 dollars ando it may not fit even though it should fit lol
Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Also, anything without cats are likely to be really raspy and may drone.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I made the mistake of spending money on a gibson system.... I couldve bought headers and SE dual system and been ahead of the game.... I wanted true duals and wanted to keep cats on it, so i went the quick easy route....6.0 aftermarket replacement manifolds, denali/ss cat pipes and gibson dual extreme cat back for silverado ss which was a nightmare to get to fit properly due to it not being cut right to begin with, spend $600 on the catback, about $125 or so each for the manifolds, something like $450 for the cat pipes, then i ended up building an h pipe and buying two flowmaster 44 series mufflers at $90 each, and i just spend $250 getting the driver side tailpipe replaced and the passenger side fixed...not to mention the set of shortys i had bought that were my initial plan that were so botched they wouldnt even mate up to my stock y pipe and werent even close to the new cat pipes..... And now i have a set of SE 1 7/8 longtubes and a pair of magnaflow cats.... At this point i couldve been done with exhaust and working on a blower or something...
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Just find you a used corsa muffler on ebay and build your own cat back and save a fortune the slp lm2s sound nice and you can easily build your own truedual setup with them as well your cheapest route ID say would be find the muffler's or muffler you want to run yourself online somewhere and just get your local exhaust shop or a buddy that you trust to weld and build it to your own liking I've done all my exhausts this way and come out much less than any catback price I've ever looked at getting especially if you're going to run dumps and don't have to spend any extra on a nice set of tips
Old 04-27-2016, 11:36 PM
Launching!

Side note if your worried about drone real bad running tips tips just out side from the undercarriage anywhere on it will help kill the drone in the cab also just as long as they're sticking out from under the vehicle even the slightest bit
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I made the mistake of spending money on a gibson system.... I couldve bought headers and SE dual system and been ahead of the game.... I wanted true duals and wanted to keep cats on it, so i went the quick easy route....6.0 aftermarket replacement manifolds, denali/ss cat pipes and gibson dual extreme cat back for silverado ss which was a nightmare to get to fit properly due to it not being cut right to begin with, spend $600 on the catback, about $125 or so each for the manifolds, something like $450 for the cat pipes, then i ended up building an h pipe and buying two flowmaster 44 series mufflers at $90 each, and i just spend $250 getting the driver side tailpipe replaced and the passenger side fixed...not to mention the set of shortys i had bought that were my initial plan that were so botched they wouldnt even mate up to my stock y pipe and werent even close to the new cat pipes..... And now i have a set of SE 1 7/8 longtubes and a pair of magnaflow cats.... At this point i couldve been done with exhaust and working on a blower or something...
I'm in the same boat as you. I know if I get something and don't like it I would just be wasting money because then I'd force my self to change because I'm so picky. But I do know I'm getting longtubes and I'm not going to run cats, now I just have to figure out the rest
Old 04-28-2016, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by jtphelps289
Just find you a used corsa muffler on ebay and build your own cat back and save a fortune the slp lm2s sound nice and you can easily build your own truedual setup with them as well your cheapest route ID say would be find the muffler's or muffler you want to run yourself online somewhere and just get your local exhaust shop or a buddy that you trust to weld and build it to your own liking I've done all my exhausts this way and come out much less than any catback price I've ever looked at getting especially if you're going to run dumps and don't have to spend any extra on a nice set of tips
That was another plan of mine but I can't find any corsa mufflers other than the 4" diesel one, so I may just get a shop to build a 3" catback with a borla xr1 dumped before the rear end. And I'm not to worried about the drone, I actually had a dumped flowmaster before I decided to look into new exhaust which is funny because I hate the way flowmaster sound lol
Old 04-28-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Corsa with longtubes is extremely loud and raspy.

Quick Reply: True duals vs mbrp