Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

truck slower after cam swap help????

Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

turn the DOD function off in the tune?
Old 08-01-2016, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1redta
turn the DOD function off in the tune?
I would assume that they did,it doesn't go Into 4 cylinder mode anymore.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:48 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

You can't just swap in a cam and expect the acceleration to blow you away, even with fueling and timing dialed in. A solid cam/head combo can help fill the cylinder better, but by far the majority of the benefit of the cam comes from moving your torque curve higher in the rpm range and then gearing back down to multiply the torque.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by smokeshow
You can't just swap in a cam and expect the acceleration to blow you away, even with fueling and timing dialed in. A solid cam/head combo can help fill the cylinder better, but by far the majority of the benefit of the cam comes from moving your torque curve higher in the rpm range and then gearing back down to multiply the torque.
I understand that it's not going to be a rocket with just a cam swap, but I atleast expect it to be faster than stock. I also have a copy of the tune, but I can't open it.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:26 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by greenturtle05
I understand that it's not going to be a rocket with just a cam swap, but I atleast expect it to be faster than stock. I also have a copy of the tune, but I can't open it.
It will be faster, meaning higher top speed...
Old 08-02-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

I suggest a butt dyno calibration. Those gears with slightly oversized exhaust would make it deel soggy down low but it should wake up on the top. Id say the tune is the problem too.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a problem With PCM of NC for just a basic headers with no CATs tune.

I had a buddy with HP tuners send them the base tune then load it for me.

1. tune they sent showed a ton of knock just going up a slight hill and the trans was set up so bad it wouldn't shift into 6th until 78 mph or something like that. But it was the first version so I thought ok they'll fix it. So we logged it and sent it back. I told them about the knock and how it shifted.

2. Tune they turned the knock sensor OFF!!!! and didn't touch anything else. Trans still stayed in 5 most of the time. I was done when I found out they just turned the sensor off.

My buddy felt so bad for me he spend the next 3 hours tuning my truck for me and it's ran great ever since. I just didn't want to bother him with tuning my truck since he not a professional but I should just asked him to do it in the first place.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I would be pissed too if I spend that much money on my truck, to do a cam swap and it felt slower.

I'm going to do a custom grind cam from stock48 in the fall on my 6.2. I hope it doesn't feel slower after all that work!!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jonblarc7
I had a problem With PCM of NC for just a basic headers with no CATs tune.

I had a buddy with HP tuners send them the base tune then load it for me.

1. tune they sent showed a ton of knock just going up a slight hill and the trans was set up so bad it wouldn't shift into 6th until 78 mph or something like that. But it was the first version so I thought ok they'll fix it. So we logged it and sent it back. I told them about the knock and how it shifted.

2. Tune they turned the knock sensor OFF!!!! and didn't touch anything else. Trans still stayed in 5 most of the time. I was done when I found out they just turned the sensor off.

My buddy felt so bad for me he spend the next 3 hours tuning my truck for me and it's ran great ever since. I just didn't want to bother him with tuning my truck since he not a professional but I should just asked him to do it in the first place.
They had my shift points screwed as well, and it was lean. I sent it back to get the shift points corrected and it's still not right.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Shift points are so subjective. Everyone wants their truck to behave differently. Buy hp or efi live and learn to tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: truck slower after cam swap help????