Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Swapping a 2011 L94 6.2 , Suggestions on what to do

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping a 2011 L94 6.2 , Suggestions on what to do

Hi I found this forum in my process of researching info on the swap I am doing so I'm new here. (sorry if this is not in the correct section but looked the best suited). I am currently in the beginning stages of my project which is a 68 Chevy c10. I have bought a 6.2l L94 out of a wrecked 2011 Escalade 68k miles.I plan to run a new gm 4l75e trans. My goal for the truck is to have a factory feeling motor but am no opposed to a little performance upgrades. Just want a good driver. So far I have found I need to swap

-F-body oil pan with parts that go along with that ( Purchased)
-Custom Harness,Ecm, Tcm ( Looking at either PCI or Speartech)
-Headers (Considering Sanderson)

What I am unsure of

Intake- The factory L94 intake seems to be very tall and have a lot of sensors. My thoughts are I may need to switch to a factory ls3 intake or something after market? Open to suggestions here.

DOD- Not sure how I want to handle this or if I need to. I see the kit texas speed sells but I really don't want to tear into the motor that far. Looks like a cam would be necessary to with the DOD delete.

VVT- From the research I've done the consensus seems to be that this is a fairly good option to keep. Opinions wanted.

Any input on the optimum setup for my application will be greatly appreciated . Thank you!

Heres a pic of the truck. Going to leave the paint alone and go for a modern drive train, porter built suspension, Accu air, vintage air (most likely) setup.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

stock truck NNBS intake
remove all the dod and afm. use good gaskets and hardware when putting the engine back together.

the stock 6.2 will have plenty of power for this little ripper. Cool project.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Yep....cam...headers...whammy...400HP. Headers...I think the ones Speed Engineering makes for trucks covers pretty much every single one from the 60s on up. There's so much space in those engine compartments. May wanna stick a converter and upgrade the rear axle while you're doing it. I'm doing a buddy of mine's 84 C10 and it's almost like the engine belonged in there in the first place.
The harness...there's a guy with good feedback on eBay that modifies them for $250 shipped. My neighbor is doing this with his Caprice and I'll be doing it as well for the C10. Do you really need the new oil pan? I thought the truck pan cleared just fine?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In regards to the intake manifold, I would ask if you received your new 6.2L with the front accessories or not. If you did pick it up with the accessories, it’s probably easier to stick with the truck intake manifold. If you have to put together the front engine dress, you may want to go with the LS3 intake for a cleaner look. Either way I don’t believe you will notice a performance gain or loss with one over the other for what you’re doing.

When it comes to the DOD, I would most definitely recommend ditching it. I know you really didn’t want to crack open the engine, but in this case I would really recommend it. The AFM lifters are known to be problematic and results in terminal camshaft damage. I could go either way with the VVT, but for your application, I would probably ditch it as well. I know it’s a bad excuse to get rid of something that works, but depending on your area, you may find it difficult to find someone that is knowledgeable tuning the VVT as easily as it would without. A good tuner can handle it either way, but everyone is not blessed with good tuners locally.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:53 PM

stock truck NNBS intake
remove all the dod and afm. use good gaskets and hardware when putting the engine back together.

the stock 6.2 will have plenty of power for this little ripper. Cool project.
Thats what I was thinking power wise. These truck don't weigh all that much!
Yep....cam...headers...whammy...400HP. Headers...I think the ones Speed Engineering makes for trucks covers pretty much every single one from the 60s on up. There's so much space in those engine compartments. May wanna stick a converter and upgrade the rear axle while you're doing it. I'm doing a buddy of mine's 84 C10 and it's almost like the engine belonged in there in the first place.
The harness...there's a guy with good feedback on eBay that modifies them for $250 shipped. My neighbor is doing this with his Caprice and I'll be doing it as well for the C10. Do you really need the new oil pan? I thought the truck pan cleared just fine?
For the Porterbuilt suspension I am running it is needed. Are all ls pan gaskets riveted? If so this scares me because that means someones been in mine on the factory pan.
In regards to the intake manifold, I would ask if you received your new 6.2L with the front accessories or not. If you did pick it up with the accessories, it’s probably easier to stick with the truck intake manifold. If you have to put together the front engine dress, you may want to go with the LS3 intake for a cleaner look. Either way I don’t believe you will notice a performance gain or loss with one over the other for what you’re doing.

When it comes to the DOD, I would most definitely recommend ditching it. I know you really didn’t want to crack open the engine, but in this case I would really recommend it. The AFM lifters are known to be problematic and results in terminal camshaft damage. I could go either way with the VVT, but for your application, I would probably ditch it as well. I know it’s a bad excuse to get rid of something that works, but depending on your area, you may find it difficult to find someone that is knowledgeable tuning the VVT as easily as it would without. A good tuner can handle it either way, but everyone is not blessed with good tuners locally.
From what I've read it can be deleted simply through tuning unless you switch cams. Anyone have experience with this ? This would make the most sense for me with the idea that if I ad a cam later on I could do the delete kit at the same time.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

It's a simple enable or disable with a tuning software for AFM/DoD.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be disabled in the programming yes,but the point is to get the dod lifters out as they are prone to failure
Old 12-31-2016, 10:31 AM

What would be a good Intake/cam combo if I do the DOD delete? Should I use factory valve springs? What will I need to do about the front accessories. I read somewhere that there is a bracket to make the truck accessories work with a low intake.