Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Swap trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swap trouble

First off pardon my ignorance on this subject. I know after swapping from a 5.3 to 6.0 a retune is mandatory but what I don't know is how will the 6.0 run on the 5.3 tune? Rich? Lean? Decent? I'm trying to figure out if I have bigger problems than just the tune. Here's the rundown:
2002 Silverado, had bolt on 5.3 with a black bear mail order tune that was too rich but ran good. Swapped to a stock block LQ9 but also had the 317's CNC ported, milled to 68cc and spring upgrade. Also has a 222/228 duration .599/.585 lift on a 111 custom cam. All from Frankenstein racing heads. I kept the 5.3 intake and injectors. The motor fired right up but it is crazy rich. So rich that it fouled the plugs. It idles very rough like a miss and will die. I also have a map sensor code that won't go away.
So I need schooled! Should I expect this set up to run this rich until it's tuned or could I have a vacuum leak causing a rich condition and the map code po106? I just want the thing right before scheduling the tune and taking off work. I hate to get to the tuner and he finds problems that I should have fixed before wasting his time. And I have the damn lifter noise that sux! Thank you in advance for any advice.

Last edited by slamm69; 10-19-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Mis selling
Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

For sure fix the MAP sensor problem, that is going to cause you lots of issues with how it's running.

Even if that code wasn't there the truck isn't going to be happy at all. You have changed so much that the 5.3 calibration is barely going to run it, I wouldn't drive it that's for sure. All the airflow tables and fueling tables are going to be way off.

And those small 5.3 injectors aren't going to be enough for this setup, they are far too small for the power this engine could make. You best buy some larger injectors so you can fully tune this truck. 5.3 injectors are only 24lb/hr and you will want 31lb/hr injectors or larger for sure.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Thank you for the help. I'm not sure why the MAP code popped up after the swap. Same sensor was on the 5.3? I will get that fixed. I plan on changing injectors to either flex fuels or a set of 36lb FAST LS injectors but need the right adapters and spacers. Could a vacuum leak cause the map code?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Don't buy fast injectors, most of them either have zero injector data or what is out there is not accurate.

I'd only buy injectors with known good data and from companys that a well known for quality. Deastchwerks injectors are great, factory 31lb/hr 8.1L injectors would work too.

P0106 is a more of a circuit code, not something vacuum leaks should cause.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:56 PM
Launching!

Good to know about the fast injectors. I have a set of flex fuels I can get, would they work? When you say circuit do you mean the sensor it's self or a wiring issue? Maybe check all my grounds? I switched the sensor out with the 6.0 but no change. The 6.0 sensor did have the connector broke off so not sure it is good either. I will check both sensors and make sure they are good.