Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video Clip or sound clip of Cammed 6.0L Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Clip or sound clip of Cammed 6.0L Idle

Does anyone have a video/sound clip of their cammed engine as it's idling?

I don't know of anyone around here that has a cammed 6.0L and not sure if my lifter tick is "Normal". Everyone I've taken it to so far tells me my new LS7 lifters are collapsed....which doesn't make much sense to me since theyre brand frickin new. (The same folks tell me to just tighten down my rocker arm nut to try and quiet them down)

If you have a vid or a link to your vid, it would be appreciated!
Idle or Idle and ramp up in RPM would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS7 lifters and a 220/224 .581/.581 112 LSA cam.

Video

Video
Old 11-28-2010, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Do you have anything besides a cam and LS7 lifters? Different pushrods? Rockers?

I *think* you have to run a special length pushrod on LS7 lifters, as in not a 7.4, I may be wrong though.

I know I have a SBC and not a LS based engine but after I did my cam my valvetrain got noisy too, it has ticks on both sides. Sometimes certain cams have a lobe thats more aggressive about picking the valves up off the head and putting them back down. Unless the lifters have the wrong preload on them, if they're brand new nothing short of a freak manufacturing fault should be the problem, assuming there's a problem at all.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by meangreenburban
Do you have anything besides a cam and LS7 lifters? Different pushrods? Rockers?

I *think* you have to run a special length pushrod on LS7 lifters, as in not a 7.4, I may be wrong though.
Aftermarket 7.4" pushrods. Stock Rockers.
(Also tried stock, 7.375", and 7.350", all were worse)

There has been no documented proof that you need to use shorter with the LS7 lifters. Lots of heresay, but no one will back that claim up.
When measured, theyre the same distance away as my stock old motor with non LS7 lifters. The only difference that may be there is increased cup travel for various applications. I'm processing a few videos to share of my own...you can hear it in the cab of the truck while driving.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6.0 with a TSP 224R 112lsa
Dynamax bullet, full 4 inch, dumped at the bumper..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4JXkRi1qhw full 4 inch through a edy diesel muffler, dumped at the bumper..
Old 11-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Baltimore Whore

LS7 lifters are longer, seats are ruffly .050 higher, so a stock PR should be used. However alot of people run the 7.4's in there with out any issue
Old 11-28-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
LS7 lifters are longer, seats are ruffly .050 higher, so a stock PR should be used. However alot of people run the 7.4's in there with out any issue
Do you mean Shouldn't?

Heres the Cold idle Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWlqfMgB-mk
Old 11-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Baltimore Whore

A 7.35 rod should be ok to use in there. People use 7.4 rods with them.. The best way to do it is get a PR checker. Then you will know for sure.. The first vid says it is private. The second vid I really couldn't hear anything. Did you make sure the rockers are tq down correctly??
Old 11-28-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
A 7.35 rod should be ok to use in there. People use 7.4 rods with them.. The best way to do it is get a PR checker. Then you will know for sure.. The first vid says it is private. The second vid I really couldn't hear anything. Did you make sure the rockers are tq down correctly??
Yes sir. Did all of the above including the PR checker. No difference in length measurement from my stocker 5.3L to the 6.0L with the LS7 lifters.
With the 7.350's it tends to run better, rev quicker, but has much more clatter of the rocker arms.
Yep... 22Ft Lbs with Loctite. Made sure the rockers were on the base circle of the cam when I did it. (I've repaired lots of cars with non-adjustable rockers and never had an issue with noise)
Fixed the first video stuff...sorry about that.
I may switch back to the 7.375's as the 7.4's give lower compression and an occasional backfire. (I think the valves are staying open)

I'll try to get a better video with less noise if possible. Hard to do around these parts... our roads suck.
I know I get very odd looks from people when I pull in or out of anywhere. They look at the engine like "What the hell??"

I'm not fiddling too much with it until after winter. I have a sneeky suspicion that it's in the head. I had them refreshed by a local engine builder and my luck....well.... Im wondering if something odd was done like a valve stem cut down thinking "Its an adjustable rocker arm". Or mabee a spring seat machined...something. Its frightning as everyone I ask just tells me to crank down the rocker arm nut another quarter turn.

The purpose of the thread isn't to continue hammering a dead dog..but more of a comparison to what others have. Mabee it's normal.

Last edited by TrickyTransAm; 11-28-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Baltimore Whore

If you are sure that they are tq correct, the springs are the correct ones, set properly, it is a good chance that it could have been something done to the head, if a shop did them.. I mean I have some noise but nothing out of the norm, or that bothers me..

Quick Reply: Video Clip or sound clip of Cammed 6.0L Idle