Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

should i send these headers back?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:32 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts
Default should i send these headers back?

I got a set of ARH headers for my 69 camaro that fit like ****. they clear in all the tight places, but the collectors are way too close to the transmission. ARH said that they were made for a standard transmission and wont fit with an 80e and that they've run into this a few times. you would think that they would mention this in the description.... anyways i'm not sure if i should send them back for a refund or try to figure out a way to make them fit. any ideas on getting them to fit?

here is my linkage before the headers were even tight. the collector came in even farther.

Name:  DSCN0048_zpsicarvebt.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  138.7 KB

here it is fully bolted down
Name:  DSCN0051_zps9pncukza.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  254.9 KB

notice the shifter lever is above the collector
Name:  DSCN0053_zpstkta0yjg.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  188.5 KB

i bolted it down and ran a strap from the collector to the frame and was able to move it over far enough to work, but it snapped right back when i released the strap.
Name:  DSCN0055_zpsw7tkxtsu.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  248.8 KB

any ideas on how to make them work? i considered running a spreader bar between duals and putting a H pipe in there to hold everything out but if i ever remove the exhaust i'm in for a PITA and i dont know if it would affect the seal at the heads being forced out like that.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Send them back.

You will never get them to fit right for what they cost and you won't be happy.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you will just find off the shelf parts to fit a custom setup. You either find something close and modify or you buy some flanges and bends and make a set from scratch. Another company you could try is lemons headers. There super nice but the price is not.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by climb-101
I don't think you will just find off the shelf parts to fit a custom setup. You either find something close and modify or you buy some flanges and bends and make a set from scratch. Another company you could try is lemons headers. There super nice but the price is not.
the headers were advertised for my motor swap, in my year, using my motor mounts and my subframe. am i crazy to expect them to fit? it confuses me that ARH has run into this a few times and doesnt say anything about manual trans only in the description.

this is my second set to fit up. the first cost me about $150 to restock...i'm sure these will cos the same or more. the next option is around $1700 and i dont plan to spend that much on headers.

the texas speed headers that i removed fit good, but they dont offer a 2"primary/3.5 collector. they also hung pretty low below the car where these tuck up great.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

It seems like a lot of company's have issues when it comes to the trans area for some reason but I don't know why. I would try these guys, give them a call. I see they have headers with 2" primary's for camaros with ls-1 to ls-7. Also have a few chassis options. I have had a few friends use there stuff for race cars and had no issues with them
Old 08-30-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Damn it what a disappointment! I dont know what to say stew... great headers but I would hate to have to modify them too much.

I think I'd have to side with Joseph on this one. Talk to ARH to see if they have any ideas on helping clearance.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:44 AM

ARH basically said they were made for manual trans and to send them back if i want...

they did offer to cut the collectors off and cant them to the side. i could have them flip them 180* at the same time to put the 02 sensors on the outside. even with the collectors canted to the side; the headers would need some persuasion to be far enought from the transmission to give room for linkage and not melt the electronics.

what kind of side load can a V band take? i'm considering running a x or H pipe that's wider than the collectors and spreading the collectors out with straps and banding them down. not sure what negative effects to expect on the flange seal, and if the v band can take that kind of side load.

either way, i'll need to cut/weld my linkage bracket to flip it to the inside which isnt a big deal. the biggest PITA is doing any welding to the stainless. maybe ARH would weld up some V bands to the collector while i have them flip and cant the collectors.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

I don't think I would just try to spread them out. I think that would be asking for problems with breaking bolts on the head or cracking pipes. Would it help if you added a spacer between the head and the flange? Basically it would just be like adding a second flange and gasket. I know they do it on mustangs a lot.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by climb-101
Would it help if you added a spacer between the head and the flange? Basically it would just be like adding a second flange and gasket. I know they do it on mustangs a lot.
the extra flange is a great idea. I never thought about that. Then if I need the collector to move even more, I can always have the extra flange milled at an angle to send the collector out and counter sink the header flange to accommodate that angle.

I'm going to stick some washers between the flange and heads tonight to simulate another 3/8 flange in place to see if it gives enough room. thanks for the tip!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:46 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

The flange idea may work, but using the mid pipe to spread them is not a good idea. I like the flange idea, you could actually weld them on and seal it up and only need one gasket assuming the dry run proves that idea to work. Basically you would just have a really thick flange.

Quick Reply: should i send these headers back?