Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short and Long term LS storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich is a relative term.

I can tell you the lq9 in my silverado sat in two garages, as a long block, for at least two years. It was supposedly a pull out from a roll over before that. Swapped the cam with no wooden dowels, changed the oil and filter. Fired right up. It mostly just sits now. Everytime I start it, its as quiet as a cammed v8 with YT rockers and a set of longtubes could be...lol.

All that being said, I don't see any issue with your Z sitting for 6 weeks between starts. Get a trickle charger. I doubt your truck needs that much work also. Nice budget tho.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RS/SS 4.8
In my eyes your rich lol. Truck check, ZO6 Vette check, CTS-V wagon check. All my favorite dream cars. As for storage i dunno my truck now sits up to a month sitting still, all i do is disconect battery put 93 fuel in it and when i start it i let it warm up the rip the crap outta it.
I guess it is all relative, I have the cars I dreamed about in college, but we don't have a dinning room table or anything on our walls.

There is a guy at my job that has a 458, 700 hp M3 as a DD, a Porsche race car, just put a deposit down on a new Z06, and was asking about if I thought a GT2 RS would eventually appreciate. I wouldn't call him rich, just well off.

Do you have issues with the battery going dead?

Originally Posted by trxmxzx
I've done two years in michigan with my truck sitting for 5-6 months- no starting - all I do is disconnect battery and make sure the tank is full so it doesn't condinsate. (Highest octane I could find unleaded) -

Dead spots in tires yea, but everything works no noises
Originally Posted by zero2sixT
Rich is a relative term.

I can tell you the lq9 in my silverado sat in two garages, as a long block, for at least two years. It was supposedly a pull out from a roll over before that. Swapped the cam with no wooden dowels, changed the oil and filter. Fired right up. It mostly just sits now. Everytime I start it, its as quiet as a cammed v8 with YT rockers and a set of longtubes could be...lol.

All that being said, I don't see any issue with your Z sitting for 6 weeks between starts. Get a trickle charger.
I doubt your truck needs that much work also. Nice budget tho.[/QUOTE]

Seems like sitting around is pretty common and not really an issue when considering long term damage.

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
I doubt your truck needs that much work also. Nice budget tho.
well I figure id get a built motor, 400-500 hp, I'd need a tranny to back it up, probably need to rebuild the transfer case at that time and ditch the G80

Everything is on a budget!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

What's the big deal here?
Your post said two to six week sitting. My built lq4 regularly sits 3 weeks when I'm out of town.

If sitting for 3 years all the oil will be in the pan like you said... Pressurize it if you want but I'd start it and go.

Last weekend the oil line came off my oil cooler. Blew all the oil down the road and I didn't notice until my oil pressure showed zero.
Put the line back on, refilled with oil and headed down the road with over 60 psi of oil pressure still.

Run it til it goes, then worry about it.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Whenever I install new lifters or rebuild the bottom end on any ls at work I like to disconnect both coil pack connectors and crank for about 40-60 seconds. You could also remove your spark plugs, and shoot some lube down into the cylinders as well to take the stress off of the starter/battery.