Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

The solution to all cam dilemas

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The solution to all cam dilemas

I am writing this thread in hopes it will provide some useful information to everyone on the forum. With regards to the question that everyone including myself has asked 100 times, "what cam to pick?" before i go into great detail I will provide you with you some useful background info to help provide you with a base for the info i am relaying.

I have installed & tuned ( i actually have not personally installed anything, but i do all the tuning) over 100 different cam combinations. In some case trying as many as 6 different cams on the same vehicle. I know this sounds a little far fetched but being were i work & my posistion it makes it an obtainable task.

I have used everyones grind from comps, cranes, vinci, thunders, texas speed, lingenfelter, to gm's. I was always searching for the best off the shelf grind for customers vehicles. I have also failed miserbly more than i care to say but I have also learned what compliments the customers needs.

Recently we have bee using what i would consider some fairly radical cam specs for both the 5.3 & 6.0. when i say radical they are custom grinds with fairly tight lsa 111-109. cams vary from the 21x/22x to 23x/24x. What has impressed me the most is the driveabilty of the cams along with the phenomenal amount of violent mid range torque. these cams seem to pull forever...... & then some. the other interesting note is there was not considerable loss of low-end torque.

We are now finishing an 05 lq9 with pacesetter lts, asp underdrive, cai, 3inch y, true 3inch exhaust(all mandrel bent) vigilante 3600 stall, 4.10s, & a custom ground guerra motorsports cam that coms in the 23x/23x. the vehicle has been done in stages so that after every mod i drive it home from the shop & work on the tuning aspect. I can honestly say that this truck exceeds any expectations i have had.

In a nut shell what I am getting at is that despite all of my "percieved knowladge" & experiance I have been blown away by the the cams I have recieved from thunders custom spec cams by guerra motorsports. we have had him spec out 6 cams now & have installed 4 of them. It amazes me that for $25 the amount of insight you get.

I am not usally one to toot another mans horn but there is a definite finite science to this that the off the shelf cams just do not capitialize on. Do not get me wrong I have been very pleased with the off the shelfs. I am just offering some insight that i hope will help.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So,
The solution to all cam dilemas,
is to call for thunders custom spec cams by guerra motorsports?
Old 08-30-2007, 04:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

^lmfao!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Moddoo
So,
I am not sure who else has the software or abilities to custom spec these cams. I am assuming that he is using some type of dyno sim software to determine the relationship of the valve events.

the point i was trying to get across is that i these grinds are so far from the norm in specs. yet on the same token the perform much more dynamiclly than the off the shelfs. they have been easier to tune & contradict all of the conventional percieved thoughts.

the solution is to have one custom ground. by whoever you may choose. however I have been extremly impressed with guerra motorsports.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

So,
let me refrase that......... I see more misguided, bench racers cam advice from people that knew a guy that rode in another guys truck with this cam in it. They are usally young & lack any real world experience to speak of other than what they read on the internet. But who am I to judge.................. I was just trying offer some insight.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have a good idea, but when they spec a cam its just there opinion on what would work. BUT opinions are like butholes everyone has a different one.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was not being sarcastic in any way.
You say it costs $25 to get a custom spec?
Then, what is the cost for a cusom cam?

It is useful to hear that you have tried a lot of off the shelf cams, and find theirs to be superior.
Is a lot of your experience with trucks, daily driven trucks?
Old 08-30-2007, 04:44 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had him spec a cam out for me. i haven't got it all in yet because i have to build the 383 before i can use it lol. but this guy is knows his **** IMO.

check out.....https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732392
there is alot of good stuff.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was not being sarcastic in any way.
You say it costs $25 to get a custom spec?
Then, what is the cost for a cusom cam?

It is useful to hear that you have tried a lot of off the shelf cams, and find theirs to be superior.
Is a lot of your experience with trucks, daily driven trucks?

almost exclusively trucks.... yes all are daily driven.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 4.8T
i had him spec a cam out for me. i haven't got it all in yet because i have to build the 383 before i can use it lol. but this guy is knows his **** IMO.

check out.....https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732392
there is alot of good stuff.

yes that is an excellent read. he has really impressed me.