Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which SC and why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 09:31 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Honestly don't get too caught up in the different designs. The tvs2300 vs the 2.3 whipple is damn near identical on everything.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic
Honestly don't get too caught up in the different designs. The tvs2300 vs the 2.3 whipple is damn near identical on everything.
That's what I've gathered, just small differences. This may be a dumb question but are you able to run an oil catch can with either of them? I'll be doing heads too and have looked at a couple threads on the ls6 valley cover with catch can combo and was thinking about doing it, but don't wanna buy the stuff if it's not compatible with a whipple or maggie.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:04 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Not sure if you can run one off the valley since they take up a lot of room but you certainly can off the valve covers.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a Silverado SS running a D1 Procharger at 17# and currently running a TVS2300 in my Denali at 15#. My Denali is not fully tuned and finished, however I liked my D1 more than the TVS at this point... I would like to add that my SSS had a 3000 stall in it to make the D1 hit its sweet spot......
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Mine does. It will scream from 60-100 stomp.
Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Oh god yea... hell with just a 1900 I trapped 118.5 mph in my crew cab.

Thats moving in my truck. We'll see what the 2300 is made of this weekend.
Originally Posted by D1SCSS
I had a Silverado SS running a D1 Procharger at 17# and currently running a TVS2300 in my Denali at 15#. My Denali is not fully tuned and finished, however I liked my D1 more than the TVS at this point... I would like to add that my SSS had a 3000 stall in it to make the D1 hit its sweet spot......
Ya I'll be putting in a 3200-3600 stall in mine. I like the idea of that instant hp/torq and not having to wait for it to wind up like a centrifugal
Old 10-22-2016, 02:13 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

When these procharger vs. magna/whipple threads get started with the OP always asking for advise on which way to go, the first few posts are always the same. Questions like, driving style, how much racing to you plan on doing, how much money and complexity are you looking for, how much total power are you looking for and that sort of thing.

These are very valid questions and probably 90% of the time are the only ones that need to be answered for members to help sway you one way or the other. However, if your answer to those questions is basically weekend warrior, nice day only drives/cruise nights and max performance at the track....the only answer is Procharger providing that you also are willing to tire, gear and converter the truck for the delivery of power provided by a Procharger.

That said, I think the very first question should be regarding the torque converter. Are you using your current one and if so, what are its characteristics? If you are open or are planning to change the converter to suit the new blower mod, how radical are you willing to go? Remember, the fact these electronic OD automatics with lock up torque converters is that you can roll with a very loose converter and lock the thing up on the highway to get rpms back down and keep trans temps in check.

Basically what I'm getting at is this:

If you don't mind running a converter that will flash and pull back to no less than 3600-4000 rpm on the shift....you'd be a fool to choose anything but a Procharger.

If you daily drive, have to deal with traffic all the time and still need to the truck to be used for some towing capacity, you'd be a fool to choose anything but a PD blower.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm with Blown06 on this.

You've already committed to a torque converter and that, realistically and passively pushes you towards a turbo or procharger setup.

Now, if you're willing to run a 2500-2900 stall, the PD blowers get really fun.

Having had a Whipple, it made 9psi at 2k. With a 2900 stall, it was fun.

Plan on a few extra things in any case:

1. Pin the ******* crank. Nothing like having your crank bolt disappear or worse. Search around. The crank pulley will walk off the front of the crank.

2. Meth - Go ahead and plan on it. If you're going to drop the funds for a blower and plan on making more than 10psi, you'll need it.

3. Be realistic with your driving style. If you want the off idle fun, then go pd. If you want a top end screaming *****, go procharger.

4. Not a necessity but start thinking about a driveshaft. You may not have any issues with the stocker but don't be surprised if you twist that sumbitch in to.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blown06
When these procharger vs. magna/whipple threads get started with the OP always asking for advise on which way to go, the first few posts are always the same. Questions like, driving style, how much racing to you plan on doing, how much money and complexity are you looking for, how much total power are you looking for and that sort of thing.

These are very valid questions and probably 90% of the time are the only ones that need to be answered for members to help sway you one way or the other. However, if your answer to those questions is basically weekend warrior, nice day only drives/cruise nights and max performance at the track....the only answer is Procharger providing that you also are willing to tire, gear and converter the truck for the delivery of power provided by a Procharger.

That said, I think the very first question should be regarding the torque converter. Are you using your current one and if so, what are its characteristics? If you are open or are planning to change the converter to suit the new blower mod, how radical are you willing to go? Remember, the fact these electronic OD automatics with lock up torque converters is that you can roll with a very loose converter and lock the thing up on the highway to get rpms back down and keep trans temps in check.

Basically what I'm getting at is this:

If you don't mind running a converter that will flash and pull back to no less than 3600-4000 rpm on the shift....you'd be a fool to choose anything but a Procharger.

If you daily drive, have to deal with traffic all the time and still need to the truck to be used for some towing capacity, you'd be a fool to choose anything but a PD blower.
right now im currently running a stock converter. i had planned on getting a 3200-3600 stall for when i put in my bigger cam. and this will be my dd so ill have to deal with traffic and all that. from all the input you guys have given me it seems that going with a PD would best suit me. as far as track performance goes, id be going to the track maybe a couple times a year and thats about it. id rather hurt peoples feelings out on the street.

Originally Posted by madmann26
I'm with Blown06 on this.

You've already committed to a torque converter and that, realistically and passively pushes you towards a turbo or procharger setup.

Now, if you're willing to run a 2500-2900 stall, the PD blowers get really fun.

Having had a Whipple, it made 9psi at 2k. With a 2900 stall, it was fun.

Plan on a few extra things in any case:

1. Pin the ******* crank. Nothing like having your crank bolt disappear or worse. Search around. The crank pulley will walk off the front of the crank.

2. Meth - Go ahead and plan on it. If you're going to drop the funds for a blower and plan on making more than 10psi, you'll need it.

3. Be realistic with your driving style. If you want the off idle fun, then go pd. If you want a top end screaming *****, go procharger.

4. Not a necessity but start thinking about a driveshaft. You may not have any issues with the stocker but don't be surprised if you twist that sumbitch in to.
ya ive seen other people mention crank pinning on others threads and was curious about it. will def do some research on it. and will do research on meth too...lol ok that sounded bad when i said it out loud, but you know what i mean . and the off idle fun seems more my style. dont get me wrong, i like being on the highway then messing with some sports car that rolls up, but im not gonna be going for top speeds and all that, so i think the PD would suit me better. as far as driveshafts go, without getting to far off topic, what are some good reputable companies for driveshafts as the pertain to our trucks, specifically 4wd trucks? i love all the input all of you guys are giving me, keep it coming!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
right now im currently running a stock converter. i had planned on getting a 3200-3600 stall for when i put in my bigger cam. and this will be my dd so ill have to deal with traffic and all that. from all the input you guys have given me it seems that going with a PD would best suit me. as far as track performance goes, id be going to the track maybe a couple times a year and thats about it. id rather hurt peoples feelings out on the street.

ya ive seen other people mention crank pinning on others threads and was curious about it. will def do some research on it. and will do research on meth too...lol ok that sounded bad when i said it out loud, but you know what i mean . and the off idle fun seems more my style. dont get me wrong, i like being on the highway then messing with some sports car that rolls up, but im not gonna be going for top speeds and all that, so i think the PD would suit me better. as far as driveshafts go, without getting to far off topic, what are some good reputable companies for driveshafts as the pertain to our trucks, specifically 4wd trucks? i love all the input all of you guys are giving me, keep it coming!!!
Don't underestimate a pd blower from cruise to redline. Boost is instant and it'll pull like a freight train from any rpm.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by madmann26
Don't underestimate a pd blower from cruise to redline. Boost is instant and it'll pull like a freight train from any rpm.
I like that 😀 What do u recommend for a driveshaft?