Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild bottom end or new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild bottom end or new motor?

I won't be doing it but a reputable shop will or a tech will be swapping over the new motor.

I have an '01...like in my signature line that drinks oil when taken on the road on a trip; not too bad around town. Motor has plenty of power but I'm noticing some shavings onthe magnetic oil plug when I do an oil change. This began when the heads were swapped out.

Since I mean not sure what info is in my signature line I'll tell it here as well: 6.0, Lts and cam added at 175k. Heads(take offs from a vette w/39k)installed to lower oil consumption.

Oil use slowed a little, power was way up. Switching to M1 made the biggest difference so far.

Back to current: I met some guys at a car meet and one said valve seats, another one said rings so I'm going to get a leakdown test done after the first. This will be done by a well known shop, as opposed to the other two places that are kind of on the back side of somewhere else.

Also, I asked for a leakdown test at the beginning and they just kind of skipped over that and the second place said waste of time, the heads will take care of it.
Thanks for any ideas you all may have. Obviously I'm hoping a rebuilt lower end will take care of it as I'm pretty broke due to Christmas and putting my aunt in a nursing home.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

Do you notice the truck smoking out of the exhaust any? Time and conditions under which the smoke appears can be indicative of where the consumption is taking place. A leakdown/compression test can tell if and which cylinder is leaking at the valve or rings. Other locations for consumption are the valve seats or PCV system. If the truck puffs smoke upon startup after sitting for a few hours, I would look more into these two areas. If you still have a stock PCV system without a catch can, I would suggest one as this is likely the source of your issue. I would definitely do a through diagnosis before pulling the engine.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks KID.

It's 41 here so I get some smoke on startup but after warmup I don't notice it but that's because I'm driving, not watching.
I plan to run it by the shop after the new year. Seems like nobody wants to do any work during this time. Hell, if I had any work I'd not want to do it now, too!