Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on aftermarket Damper....ATI and Fluidampr

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Questions on aftermarket Damper....ATI and Fluidampr

OK guys, I have a few questions on using an aftermarket Damper. First off, I have a 2007.5 NNBS Silverado with a Gen4 LMG 5.3, Cammed, Ported heads and so on. At the Crank she makes 446-Hp at 5800 Rpm/418-Tq at 4600 Rpm. 6200 Max RPM with 6,000 RPM shift points. I use the truck for towing and eventually some occasional drag strip fun.

Now I noticed some bad cracking in the rubber on my OEM Balancer and want to replace it soon. I have a buddy who works at a local speed shop who can get me a heck of a deal on a ATI or Fluidampr Damper. The two I am looking at are the Fluidampr 760111 and the ATI 918628 , both are OEM Size and have the A/C Pulley.

1. So, is there really a need for me to use an aftermarket Damper or should I pick up a new OEM one?

2. Is there any advantages/disadvantages of the ATI Rubber Ring vs the Fluid filled Fluidampr?

3. Now the ATI uses an Steel Hub/Aluminum Shell and weighs 7.9 lbs. The Fluidampr is all Steel Housing and weighs 15.9 lbs. I was told that heavier may be better in my situation. Weight is not a concern.

4. Last Question, are both units direct fit and require no modifications to the crank?
Old 03-11-2017, 07:27 AM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

I would run ATI hands down. Your not turning any crazy rpm but a good dampener never hurts.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

you probably should pin your crank while you are there
Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Every time this gets brought up on any forum I'm on, everyone says go ATI. IIRC even nascar runs them and they are fully rebuildable
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My name is Ivan and I work for Fluidampr.

I personally travel around the country performing TVA (torsional vibration analysis) a.k.a. harmonics at various OEM and engine builder facilities. I am not here to sell, I am here to educate about torsional vibrations, the destruction they cause and damper solutions. This is one subject that gets so much misinformation spread and one reason I am available at over 50 different performance forums.

What I can tell you is that both ATI and Fluidampr are so advanced to other type dampers that it is not even close. I know which one is better but hey I am biased right Please do yourself a favor and get a good damper! Proper vibration control with quality damper almost always leads to an increase in h.p. and torque.

I do agree with whoever told you that you will be better off with a heavier damper. I believe even ATI states this in their catalog as well. It is a give and take situation. Lighter will allow you to rev up a little bit quicker but weight will give you better vibration control which is leads to longevity of engine component life. Anywhere there is metal to metal contact torsional vibrations will be transmitted. So if ATI is your choice, go with a steel hub and steel damper if available.

I also agree, at your power level it can only help by pinning the damper to the crank.

If I can help with any questions regarding torsional vibrations and/or damper solutions please reach out to me.

Last edited by 03sierraslt; 03-13-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Non sponsor contact info removed.