Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on LS7 lifter preload and Pushrod length.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

It sounds like 07NBSChevy is combining old school ball rockers, where turning the lock nut adjusts lifter preload, with this nonadjustable LS valve train. Maybe just to get his mind around the concept.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the way Comp and other have told me to do it. Are you referring to putting in the length checker at 0 turns, tightening down the rocker arm, then turning the pushrod checker until it reaches 0 lash at the rocker, remove the rocker arm, figure out the length of the checker, then add the preload to it?
Old 01-11-2017, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

I am referring to your fixation on the thread pitch of the rocker arm bolts and trying to use it to measure preload, much in the same way that turning a SBC rocker arm lock nut 1-3/4 turns gives the correct amount of lifter preload for that engine.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Maybe if you could explain in as few words as possible why you are trying to make such a simple task so complex, us mouth breathing retards might understand your intentions.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
That is the way Comp and other have told me to do it. Are you referring to putting in the length checker at 0 turns, tightening down the rocker arm, then turning the pushrod checker until it reaches 0 lash at the rocker, remove the rocker arm, figure out the length of the checker, then add the preload to it?
ask any legitimate engine builder if they spec pushrods by counting the turns a bolt after zero lash....the answer is none of them. hydraulic lifters are forgiving, so people get away with half assing it. do it right.

put the lifter on the base of the cam
torque the rocker down
find zero lash with adjustable pushrod
measure pushrod after finding zero lash
add desired pre-load

why make this harder than it should be if you already have the tools to do the job correctly?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

That is what I was trying to say, I guess I need politeness counselling
Old 01-11-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
That is what I was trying to say, I guess I need politeness counselling
the real mikegyver would recommend sizing pushrods using chewed bubble gum and a #2 pencil.

sorry. I cant be the only one who thinks of my childhood hero when they see your screen name
Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was doing the method I mentioned because, like I said, Comp and other have told me to do it that way. As well as watching countless youtube videos. Measure preload by turns. So I was going based off of that. Not that I am fixated on that, just doing it the way I was told would be best.

But either way, I got roughly the same results after adjusting pushrod length to zero lash with rockers torqued down, then adding preload.

Also, the ones who said I was doing it the wrong way, you never provided another way to do it. You just said, "why are you making this difficult and doing it that way". If you would of provided another way then I would of done it that way. Also, I knew about counting the turns on the pushrod checker until you have reached 0 lash on the rockers, (which have been torqued down) then removing the rockers and measuring the pushrod checker and adding the desired preload. But COMP cams told me not to do it that way, and since I have never really done this before, it did it the way they told me and watched the video they emailed me.

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 01-11-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I finally watched the video that you posted. I like their method of using a dial indicator to measure how much torquing the rockers, after finding zero lash, preloads the lifter using a stock pushrod. There isn't much room for your fingers to adjust an adjustable pushrod, and the dial indicator seems easier. It seems to me that their idea of counting turns of the bolt between zero lash and 22 ft/lbs is just to give you a general idea if you will need a longer or shorter pushrod than the one you are using to check.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Tapered pushrods give increased stiffness over stock pushrods similar to thick wall pushrods, but weigh less than the thickwall ones.