Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me spec a low-lift cam for an N/A 5.3!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind with springs it's not just about max lift. It's also about ramp rates and other factors. Two cams can have equal lift and completely different wear on springs. Upon further consideration I would suggest something a little different. I think something along the lines of the Comp Cams XTREME RPM XR273HR 220/224 .530/.534 would be a better option while being safe for those springs. You will be very happy with something like that if you are set on keeping the LS9 springs. A good split duration is always a good idea on a NA cathedral small bore motor.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gamble686, I definitely think that comp cam would be pretty nice. I know you said the voodoo was your pick before, but since its a little big and cutting it close with my springs how do you feel about the voodoo 217/223 .549/.549 113 lsa?

also I still like the specs and sound of the hot cam. I'm gonna rule out the asa, but doesn't howard use comp lobes? I think the howard's hot cam is another strong contender if I can figure out what lobes are used.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Teching In

01ssreda4 - I like that cam as well, just not really a fan of the 114 lsa. I want a mean idle and I heard a few clips of that cam and it's not really a noticeable idle

gm_devil - that idle is meannnn. I'm suprised it idles like that with no split duration. Sounds really good though.

Vortec350ss - my 3200 stall isn't installed yet. I got a really good deal on it so if I decide to go with a cam too big for the 3200 I am willing to send it out to have it restalled to compliment the cam
Old 01-05-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bossmancb
01ssreda4 - I like that cam as well, just not really a fan of the 114 lsa. I want a mean idle and I heard a few clips of that cam and it's not really a noticeable idle

gm_devil - that idle is meannnn. I'm suprised it idles like that with no split duration. Sounds really good though.

Vortec350ss - my 3200 stall isn't installed yet. I got a really good deal on it so if I decide to go with a cam too big for the 3200 I am willing to send it out to have it restalled to compliment the cam
The split on duration has very little to do with chop at idle.

And as far as the converter that makes a lot of sense. However... I wouldn't go looser than 3200 on a DD anyway. You will have a ton of chop in a 5.3 with something around 220 duration on a 112. I like gambles suggestion.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BTR Truck Stage III Camshaft - Brian Tooley Racing Looks like a good cam and is made to work with your springs.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Teching In

ok this is all very helpful, really appreciate it guys. I'm really leaning towards the comp cam suggested by gamble. Still want to find out about the lobes on howard's hot cam (I know the gmpp hot cam reused a dated lobe design so I'll steer away from theirs).

I am curious about that btr cam, gagliano7. I know I'd pick up some ponies with that and I like that the lift is a little higher, but will be fine with my springs. I'm trying to find an idle clip, but haven't found one yet. Another strong contender
Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Found a clip of the btr stage 3. Sounds really good actually
Old 01-05-2015, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

bossmancb - thanks. i always get alot of compliments. everyone thinks i have a built motor an are surprised when i say its just the cam making all the noise. I even had a couple cops tell me that they like the sound. (not while being pulled over) one even told me that he wants his project car to sound just like that.

and remember, you can do custom grinds. if you like the duration/lift of one came but not the lsa, go custom. i wouldnt do more then a 6* split duration on an N/A motor. what gives you that lope is basically a low compression misfire. your ext valve is opening before the power stroke is fully complete.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM
Teching In

update: still didn't pull the trigger on a cam yet. I'm still not counting out the shelf cams that were suggested, but I decided to spec a custom cam myself and get some opinions. Tell me what you guys think:

220/226 .530/.536 111 lsa using comp xtreme rpm lobes.

I tried not to go too big on the split and I chose the xtreme rpm lobes because they aren't too aggressive. Also those lobes were suggested because of my stock heads. Went with a 111 lsa to get a better sounding idle and move the power band down a bit. Very similar to the comp cam gamble suggested, but a little more exhaust duration and a 111 lsa.

I'm not sure about intake advance either so if anyone thinks I should add any please let me know. I honestly don't fully understand the concept of intake advance so if you can explain as well I'd really appreciate it

Last edited by bossmancb; 01-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:44 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my trusty little Isky triple 12 cam (212/.561/112). Before the tune got dialed in and before the LTs/ORY, it made 300/310 through stock exhaust and stock trans.

Haven't been back to the dyno since but with the final tune and full exhaust, EFI Live says im around 330-340hp/330tq. Short times didn't change much due to stock stall, but from 3k+ it moves out good for what it is.

Quick Reply: Please help me spec a low-lift cam for an N/A 5.3!