Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old style "side-mount" Magna-Charger ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old style "side-mount" Magna-Charger ?'s

I am doing some research for a friend that is interested in the old style Magna-Charger....
Is anyone here currently running one ??, and how is the performance compared to the Whipple ??

I have explained the virtues of the Radix to him and his heart (and checkbook) are set on either the Whipple or the old-style Magna-Charger...of the two I would rather see him install the Magna-Charger

so help me out here guys and give me some first-hand knowledge and experience......
Old 07-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Formerly one92rs

Default Re: Old style "side-mount" Magna-Charger ?'s

hey how much are the old style magna's. i know that a couple a people here can get a radix for around 4950.00
Old 07-12-2003, 05:13 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can tell you this:

I had the Side mount Magna on my truck for about 2 years, and it is the best made kit there was at the time. I looked at the Whipple and did alot of research on it and I did not like that fact that the whipple "tricks" the computer into "seeing" boost. Just today I drove a whipple charged 5.3 and it is having more computer issues than you would believe.

Now I have the Radix.....I have one word to describe it WOW!!!! This is an incredible kit! Comes with everything you need, and then some to make it work. Depending on what year your friends truck is, they may not have a side mount available for it. It has to be 2002 or older (99) to work, a tuner is not avaiable for the 03's.....Only the RADIX.

I know that the side mount kits are few and far between, and Magnacharger only had about 40 kits left as of a month or so ago, so step up now if you want it! I just sold my last side mount today to the person with the whipple!

Possibly look at ebay or something like that to find an older sidemount.

Any questions let me know!

Old 07-12-2003, 06:56 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are being a little hard on the old whipple. i bolted my whipple on a stock 5.3 and got 1.5sec out of it just like that, not insane amounts of power but not bad either. then went with a bunch of mods and the whipple kept up once i got rid of the false knock. just wanted to put my .02 in on the whipple set up.

i dont think there are too many people around that will argue that the radix set up is the current best out there for a person that doesn't plan on going all out, keep working on him.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:46 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are right, I am being hard on Whipple. I should give them the benefit of doubt....

I am only speaking from my bad experiance with Whipple, I think every person should decide for them selves. I am sure more people have had good results with Whipple, I have not.

In my opinion, I would use the side-mount Magnacharger before the whipple! Although Parish8 did have some amazing results with the whipple
Old 07-12-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

Since the old style Magnachargers do not have an intercooler like the Radix, I would go with the Whipple setup. Twin-screws through a lot less heat than roots-style blowers As far as the tunning...I don't know about the old Magnacharger's tune, and I have only experienced good things about the Whipple tune (except for needing more fuel injector) which is my fault not Whipple's. i.e. my cam etc. There are also good safety features about the Whipple tune. If it reads any trouble, it will blow off all but 2lbs. of boost so you will not damage your engine (as much)
Old 07-13-2003, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the side mount magnacharger and I have been giving it the max durability test on a daily basis for over a year. No problems at all. The only problems I had were during the install when I found that one of the injectors they sent was DOA and they sent me the wrong tensioner bracket. Both issues magnacharger corrected on a overnight basis.
I did a lot of reading and consideration between the whipple and magnacharger, even got a whipple install manual. And I went with the magnacharger for a few reasons. I was uncomfortable about splicing into the stock computer and the two added injectors, were the main ones. The magnacharger kit was better engineered IMO.
I am not knocking the screw charger just the whipple way of making it work. I would have your friend check out Kenne Bell if he is looking to go with the screw type. Its essentially the same unit as the whipple but with properly sized injectors and a computer calibration unit like superchips or Hypertech so you don't have to cut and splice.
That said, my next one will be Radix for sure (they did'nt have it out when I got mine).

Mike
Old 07-13-2003, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

L82gofast, Sell me your magnacharger and go buy a Radix!
Old 07-13-2003, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

I looked at the Kenne Bell kits and I have to say they are almost on par with the RADIX in terms of engineering quality and performance gains.....without an intercooler, and given the availablity of a water/alky injection kit directly from Kenne Bell if I dont go Twin-Turbo I think I WILL go with the Kenne Bell setup

and only $3950.....
Old 07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Twin screw come on twin turbos Yelo

Quick Reply: Old style "side-mount" Magna-Charger ?'s