Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pickup tube install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oil pickup tube install

Guys,
After reading j's01silverado's post on oil pressure and o-ring etc... I am going to pull the pan back off my 6.0 while on the stand to recheck things.

The 0-ring that came out was blue, and the new one I got from TR is also blue. I bought a new one because when I insalled the tube even with the bolt tightended down I could still move the pickupt tube in and out of the oil pump a bit.

What is the proper way to install the pickup tube. O-ring in the pump then slide the pickupt into it? There is a radius at the bottom of the pump port that appears to be where the o-ring should reside. Put the o-ring on the pickup tube? Does it slide up to the top of the tube. There also is a recess that appears on the tube for the o-ring it appears. Should you be able to move the tube in and out a bit when its installed?

I'll take some photos later...

TIA for any input.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:14 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The first time I installed the o-ring, I did it from the top. It was hard for me to check the movement of the pick up tube.

The last time I did it, I did it from the bottom. I dropped the oil pan, and removed the 2 bolts that hold the pick up assembly. I slid the new red o-ring over the snout of the pick up tube and slid it down to the base of the pick up tube. I tightened the bolt down and the metal retainer got sucked up into the oil pump. There was no up/down movement on the pick up tube.

That is how I did it. The problem from doing it from the top is that the 2 bolts holding the pick up assembly to the engine maki it hard to feel for movement on the pick up tube. When I get home today, I will snap some pics of the o-rings to show the differences.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, Instructions from GM.

1.Lubricate a NEW oil pump screen O-ring with clean engine oil.
2.Install the NEW O-ring seal onto the oil pump screen.

IMPORTANT: Push the oil pump screen tube completely into the oil pump prior to tightening the bolt. Do not allow the bolt to pull the tube into the pump.
Align the oil pump screen mounting brackets with the correct crankshaft bearing cap studs.

3.Install the oil pump screen
4.Install the oil pump screeen bolt and the deflectro nuts

Tighten the oil pump screen bolt to 12 N.m (106 lb in.)
Tighten the cranshaft oil deflector nuts to 25 N.m. (18 lb ft.)