Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Edelbrock Victor Jr.......I think its the best choice for us truckies

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Edelbrock Victor Jr.......I think its the best choice for us truckies

When I first caught wind of the Victor Jr. EFI, I thought that it would be great for big cube engines with its rated powerband of 3500-8000 rpms. I was concerned on how it would work with the smaller motors like the 5.3 and 4.8 because of the rated power range. So I called Edelbrock and Richard over at WCCH and talked to both of them for a good while about this topic. Recently I put a 408 in the Wood Hauler's truck and he's running the truck intake and truck tb. Well, we took it to the dyno and were not happy with the numbers...which were around 360/380 on motor. However his powerband was flatlined above 5000 rpms all the way to 6200 it made the same power......so I thought there might be some power to be gained by swapping from the stock 6.0l heads to a better flowing head, but after talking to Richard at WCCH, this has been a common problem for most people when going with the bigger motor combos and even those with better heads.....the magic # seems to hover around mid 300's on several different setups. Then when Kano did his swap and picked up almost 5 tenths just with an ls6 intake It got me thinking. So Richard and I both thought that the truck intake just can't support more than about 350-400 hp NA normally. So I thought about the Victor EFI and saw Charris's post and wondered just how well it would work. I called Edelbrock and asked how the 3500-8000 rating would work on the smaller truck engines and they made a GREAT POINT: THAT RATING IS FOR A CARB SETUP......DUE TO THE SINGLE PLANE DESIGN, CARB SETUPS HAVE A HARD TIME MAKING POWER BELOW 3500 RPMS BECAUSE THE FUEL DOESN'T STAY SUSPENDED IN THE AIR AT THOSE SLOW SPEEDS ANDWHEN YOU RUN FUEL INJECTION, THE FUEL ATOMIZATION IS NO LONGER A CONCERN WHICH DROPS THE POWER BAND TO OFF IDLE TO 8000 RPMS. I never thought of it like that but to me it seems to be a great alternative for the truck crowd because you don't have to mess with the acc. setup. And on top of that...the cable guys can run the 4bbl 1000 cfm Edelbrock TB from what I understand. We will be doing this to the Wood Hauler's truck in the future and I am anxious to see the results. Sorry for the LONG post but just some info I wanted to put out there.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good deal man, Richard is hooking me up with a 4barrel setup and Im going to be talking with Speartech tomorrow about a conversion harness for the TPS sensor. Should be pretty good

BTW the 4barrel is on back order for about 3 weeks
Old 09-04-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, because I called Edelbrock to ask them the same question and they told me that they could not recommend putting one on a H/C 5.3, especially in a truck.

However, I am a firm believer in fuel atomization not being an issue in EFI applications, regardless of intake and TB size.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was flipping thought the catalog at napa and saw that in there, any info on the stock hood clearences though?????
Old 09-04-2006, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its shoter than the truck intake but that will probably depend on the elbow you use to adapt to the tb or if you use the 4bbl tb. Either way i think you will be o.k. on clearance.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

ive had idea of this intake tickin in my head the last few weeks..and when i get everything paid for and get some money saved up i think im going to go to this intake..does any one know how much those thottle bodies and elbows are??
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM

It is going to require a special elbow with some plenum volume so the air isnt slowed down too much at the bend. I should have dyno reults between stock truck intake setup and vic jr/edelbrock 4barrel end Nov/beginning of December just in time for really good air
Old 09-04-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

would it casue a vaccum or volume problem to elbow it then use a stock style t/b?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:18 PM

Many people use the Wilson Manifolds elbow or sheetmetal elbows but you need to remember that those add plenium vloume which decreases throttle response.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Many people use the Wilson Manifolds elbow or sheetmetal elbows but you need to remember that those add plenium vloume which decreases throttle response.
gotchya, thats why i asked

i'm sure someone else who reads this thread had the same q'n

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Victor Jr.......I think its the best choice for us truckies