Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Oil cooler in my 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil cooler in my 5.3?

Hey guys! So I was doing a tranny flush on my truck since I got the temp up to 210 during a little cruise to Scottsdale(30 mile trip mostly highway,was 107 out) and was doing some pretty awesome pulls, friend of mine said he was doing about 110 in his 240sx and I was still pulling in him, so was doing some awesome runs.

Anyways! So I was thinking that since I did my e fan swap with the bigger radiator (05 Silverado) and it has the ports for an oil cooler. I service a bunch of 99-2014 Silverado for a company and see that they all have factory oil cooler lines, they are all 2500 6.0s but I was wondering if I order those factory lines from above my oil filter housing on my oil pan, to those coolers in the radiator, would I see a difference or would it kinda be a waste? I don't have much room up front since I have a tru cool 40 and a ps cooler on it already with my condensor and radiator, is this a good idea? Can get the lines for about 80 bucks. Cheap piece of mind or kind of a dumb waste?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't go aftermarket on the hard lines. I made that mistake and they fit that **** and didn't seal well. Go for OEM. Much better.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Donyou have an aftermarket ps cooler or the factory one? Oil coolers are actually more of an oil warmer, the oil temp will basically be same temp as your coolant temps.. Unless youre running a separate cooler i wouldnt waste the time on it, much less the aggravation of them leaking... Oe or aftermarket they temd to leak....
Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Donyou have an aftermarket ps cooler or the factory one? Oil coolers are actually more of an oil warmer, the oil temp will basically be same temp as your coolant temps.. Unless youre running a separate cooler i wouldnt waste the time on it, much less the aggravation of them leaking... Oe or aftermarket they temd to leak....
Do you monitor oil temps between the 2 options?

I see less oil degradation with an Oil cooler on my 6.0 truck. I assumed it was due to the oil cooler. I don't have an oil temp gauge though.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya know i never have, never even really thought about it, but its same principle as a trans cooler, running the trans fluid through the radiator will actually warm it up more that running straight through an afternarket/aux cooler, may only be a few degrees but wouldnt same principles apply, as far as oil degradation, couldnt tell you on that, better oil difference intervals, different driving tendencies between it and what ever else you have??? My biggest issue with the oil cooler lines is the leaking issue.... Very few and far between you see a set that dont leak....
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Launching!

When I say cooler I mean the color that's built into the 34 inch radiator from factory with the 2 lines.

Yes my truck has a factory ps cooler and not a factory oil cooler which I found odd..
Is there a factory oil cooler that goes in front of your radiator or you guys talking about the one into your radiator?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

The factory oil cooler goes in the radiator, all of these trucks had a power steering cooler, and an external oil cooler would normally be aftermarket, dont recall ever seeing a factory external engine oil cooler...
Old 07-28-2016, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am adding both an Engine oil cooler and a Trans fluid cooler being that im in the deep south where it's gets hot as.....

RT
Old 07-28-2016, 10:17 PM
Launching!

Well I'm wondering if I should just get those hard lines since they are only 110 bucks from my dealer or should I just run a external cooler from the same spot...?

Would I see a difference of is there any difference in doing this?
Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilveradoJakee
Well I'm wondering if I should just get those hard lines since they are only 110 bucks from my dealer or should I just run a external cooler from the same spot...?

Would I see a difference of is there any difference in doing this?
Run the factory cooler, my oil temps dropped considerably on my Express with the 350. Oil pressure stays much more consistent and the oil stays cleaner longer. In cooler weather it helps heat the oil up more quickly to boil out the contaminating moisture.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler in my 5.3?