Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Official NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide

Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness question

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
That's your problem.

It will not work with the 03 up system for the cluster and everything else.

You will have to change the red connector to a green connector from your old harness and re use the original PCM. It will then need to be re flashed for a V8.

Or Re-pin the V6 harness by adding the injector circuits and reflash the computer for a V8
1Fastbrick

Quick question on this. I'm doing a swap similar to this. 04 Sierra V6 to a 2002 V8. The harness was cut to hell from the v8 when i bought it so I went out and bought another harness. It has blue/green connectors so it should work with my gauges. Only problem is that the harness has connectors for DBW but the engine is DBC like my v6 was, and I want to keep that. So what exactly do I have to do here to get it to work? just not plug in the connector the the DBW throttle body? Or do I have to flash the PCM and splice connectors from the DBC harness i have laying around?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:47 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by asmeltzer08
1Fastbrick

Quick question on this. I'm doing a swap similar to this. 04 Sierra V6 to a 2002 V8. The harness was cut to hell from the v8 when i bought it so I went out and bought another harness. It has blue/green connectors so it should work with my gauges. Only problem is that the harness has connectors for DBW but the engine is DBC like my v6 was, and I want to keep that. So what exactly do I have to do here to get it to work? just not plug in the connector the the DBW throttle body? Or do I have to flash the PCM and splice connectors from the DBC harness i have laying around?

Any help would be appreciated.
You will need to extract the DBC connectors from the V6 harness and integrate them into the New V8 harness you have. You will need the wiring schematics to see what needs to be placed where.

I would flash the original V6 PCM with a V8 calibration as it will have the needed drivers for the DBC set up.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:39 PM
Come Get Some!!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Digging up an old thread....

What about the gauge cluster, etc? Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Default Gas gauge issue

So I've completed my swap and everything is buttoned up and perfect. Only 1 problem, my gas gauge is reading backwards. When I fill the truck up my gauge reads empty and reads full when the tank is empty. Has anyone else ran into the issue with their v6 to v8 swaps before? Is this a tune problem? The gauge worked fine before so it shouldn't be a bad ground or wiring issue from the original equipment.

Thanks guys
Old 02-23-2017, 07:07 PM

Default Engine mounts

Does anybody have the part numbers for those mounts and brackets?? I seem to be having a problem finding the correct ones. The ones in the picture on the engine on a stand are the ones I need for sure but I can't find them with 99-03 1/2 ton. I keep getting the wrong stuff at my shop. So idk if it's me or the parts people lol. Any help thank you!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hotzejoey
Does anybody have the part numbers for those mounts and brackets?? I seem to be having a problem finding the correct ones. The ones in the picture on the engine on a stand are the ones I need for sure but I can't find them with 99-03 1/2 ton. I keep getting the wrong stuff at my shop. So idk if it's me or the parts people lol. Any help thank you!
15113847 RH fit both style frames

15113848 LH Coil spring frame
15113849 LH Torsion bar frame
Old 02-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wrong year computer

Originally Posted by Asmeltzer1990
So I've completed my swap and everything is buttoned up and perfect. Only 1 problem, my gas gauge is reading backwards. When I fill the truck up my gauge reads empty and reads full when the tank is empty. Has anyone else ran into the issue with their v6 to v8 swaps before? Is this a tune problem? The gauge worked fine before so it shouldn't be a bad ground or wiring issue from the original equipment.

Thanks guys
It is the wrong year computer, you can switch the wires on the sending unit, or get a 2003 computer or vice versa. I am not sure what year you have.
Also if you change to the correct year computer you do not to flash it.
Install computer (disconnect battery if you want) Turn key on for 11 minutes turn key off repeat this process two more times, after the third cycle security light will go out truck will start. You have successfully programmed the ecm to your truck . I have personally done this on my 2003

Last edited by tpartsman; 02-24-2017 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Default Need Help

Hey guys i bought a 2004 silverado with a blown up v6. i have a 2001 chevy tahoe 5.3 pull out wiring harness computer and all. want to stay dbc i hate dbw setups. i have everything needed to do the swap im just stuck on this engine harness deal. i need to know if itll plug in and run after vatts are deleted . i dont care if the ac doesnt work
Old 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default dbw the way to go

Originally Posted by spaccord
Hey guys i bought a 2004 silverado with a blown up v6. i have a 2001 chevy tahoe 5.3 pull out wiring harness computer and all. want to stay dbc i hate dbw setups. i have everything needed to do the swap im just stuck on this engine harness deal. i need to know if itll plug in and run after vatts are deleted . i dont care if the ac doesnt work
Dude it is easier to go dbw but lt1swap.com is a wealth of knowledge to make this happen upon researching and beating my head against the wall I went dbw in my 2003.

Last edited by tpartsman; 03-06-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:09 PM
Teching In

thanks man probably will be going dbw and getting a 2004 5.3 harness, gas pedal and throtle body. just hope all the connectors on my 2001 5.3l are the same

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official NBS V6 to GENIII V8 swap Guide