Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

odd grinding noise coming from truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd grinding noise coming from truck

Hi people, a few days ago I came from a long 1600mile trip. After that I used the truck to go camping with a few friends about 4 hours away from home. At some point during the camping trip I noticed my truck making an odd grinding sound at low speeds in the front end. The higher the speed, the less apparent the noise and at 45mph, the noise can barely be heard. Almost the same noise a truck makes when it has heavy threads on it's tires. I figured maybe my tire pressure was too low, but at 37.5 PSI, they seem fine to me. IT got a bit worse by the time I got home to the point where i could feel the very small vibrations on the steering when going at very low speed (15 mph), so I jacked the truck and checked everything. Tranny fluid, front and rear drive shaft fluids, etc. Front brakes are getting there but have a little life left. all front components are tight and when I hand-spin the wheels no odd sounds or resistance can be felt. My tranny is working fine, when I put it into 4 wheel drive, all seems good. The sounds have no consistency on whether or not the brakes are applied.

It's a very strange noise as it's very consistent with the speed i'm going at. As I said, it feels like very rough tires going on very hard road or a bad gear somewhere. I keep thinking it may be either the tires or the front driveshaft that has a bad gear but why would my tires make such sounds so suddenly, and as for the gear, when hand spinning the tires slowly or quickly, I get no odd feeling or sound, and it the front wheels work superbly off-road still.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would point toward wheel bearings. they may not feel or sound bad by spinning them without a load on them
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

It SOUNDS to me like yes it also could be that. But I tugged and pulled both front hubs in all directions and have zero movement. Is there a way I can look or verify if my bearings are shot?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

The way you describe it, it sounds like a wheel bearing as LS1TRUCKGUY mentioned. Many times they will make noise, but still feel tight and be quiet when spun without a load. No real way to visually see it either.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for starters id cross the front tires to the rear and move the rears straight forward.
Normally when a bearing is going out a slight turn of the steering wheel either left or right will make it "howl" when driving of course
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andrew383
for starters id cross the front tires to the rear and move the rears straight forward.
Normally when a bearing is going out a slight turn of the steering wheel either left or right will make it "howl" when driving of course
Tire rotation was done before hitting the long road. And yeah, I took her out for a spin and when turning right, the sound remains, when turning left, the sound stops as the weight on the left wheel diminishes. It's definite that it has to do with the drivers side left wheel.
I'll take everyone's word for it and say it's the drivers side bearing assembly. God knows how much longer it'll last at this point.

These can be purchased anywhere, but any suggestions as to what brand I should purchase?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

the only advise here would be go with some good ones, dont skimp out on the cheap ones to save a buck. i really have no preference as where to buy them. i usually get everything from advanced auto parts since its close to me. IMO, i would go ahead and replace both driver and passenger sides while you are at it
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My s10 blazer did that for a few weeks and I just rode it out. It would get REALLY LOUD as I sped up and then at like 45 or 50 It would CLUNK and stop doing it until I slowed back down to about 35 and it would do it again. It eventually stopped doing it. Either the problem quit or the 2 pieces grinded until they wouldn't hit anymore. Either way it was a self fixing problem for me.
I was thinking it wasn't disengaging all the way. Eventually switched to a manual actuator instead of vacuum. That being said. COULD it possible be the Actuator not disengaging all the way?

Does yours do it ONLY in 2wd too?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

We sell National Bearings at O'reillys, they're pretty decent but the price on these hubs is pretty steep.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Probably had nothing to do with what's going on in your avatar.......

Quick Reply: odd grinding noise coming from truck