Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL MOTORS SPECIFIC FORUMS > GM Engine & Exhaust Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryUsed CarsGarageStore
Welcome to PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Trader Rating: 0
On The Tree

Default odd grinding noise coming from truck

Hi people, a few days ago I came from a long 1600mile trip. After that I used the truck to go camping with a few friends about 4 hours away from home. At some point during the camping trip I noticed my truck making an odd grinding sound at low speeds in the front end. The higher the speed, the less apparent the noise and at 45mph, the noise can barely be heard. Almost the same noise a truck makes when it has heavy threads on it's tires. I figured maybe my tire pressure was too low, but at 37.5 PSI, they seem fine to me. IT got a bit worse by the time I got home to the point where i could feel the very small vibrations on the steering when going at very low speed (15 mph), so I jacked the truck and checked everything. Tranny fluid, front and rear drive shaft fluids, etc. Front brakes are getting there but have a little life left. all front components are tight and when I hand-spin the wheels no odd sounds or resistance can be felt. My tranny is working fine, when I put it into 4 wheel drive, all seems good. The sounds have no consistency on whether or not the brakes are applied.

It's a very strange noise as it's very consistent with the speed i'm going at. As I said, it feels like very rough tires going on very hard road or a bad gear somewhere. I keep thinking it may be either the tires or the front driveshaft that has a bad gear but why would my tires make such sounds so suddenly, and as for the gear, when hand spinning the tires slowly or quickly, I get no odd feeling or sound, and it the front wheels work superbly off-road still.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
SUPERCHARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Trader Rating: 7
TECH Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to LS1TRUCKGUY

i would point toward wheel bearings. they may not feel or sound bad by spinning them without a load on them
5.3|212/218|trick stage 2 kit|circle D 2B|80e|3:73|truetrac
463hp 477tq on 10psi

"If it's cheap and reliable it isn't fast,
If it's cheap and fast it isn't reliable,
If it's fast and reliable it isn't cheap"
LS1TRUCKGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
On The Tree

It SOUNDS to me like yes it also could be that. But I tugged and pulled both front hubs in all directions and have zero movement. Is there a way I can look or verify if my bearings are shot?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Trader Rating: 19
PT's Slowest Truck

The way you describe it, it sounds like a wheel bearing as LS1TRUCKGUY mentioned. Many times they will make noise, but still feel tight and be quiet when spun without a load. No real way to visually see it either.
[FONT=Garamond]99 5.3 Z71 RC/SB - [COLOR="Blue"]FLT Level7 65E[/COLOR], [COLOR="Purple"]Circle-D Billet 258mm 2B Multi-Disc[/COLOR], Comp 206/212 515/520 114, LS6 Springs, Harland Sharp 1.7's, [COLOR="Red"]BlackBear 02 PCM[/COLOR], 02 Injectors, 160* stat, 05 E-fans, Nelson Harness, Volant CAI w/ Ram Air, StainlessWorks Headers and !Catted! Y-Pipe, DMH 3" E-Cutout, 18" Magnaflow dumped over axle, 3.73 G80, Dropped on Gibbs 20's [B]**H/C LQ9, 4.10's, and TruTrac eventually**[/B] [/FONT]
budhayes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Trader Rating: 14
traveling mod

Send a message via Yahoo to andrew383

for starters id cross the front tires to the rear and move the rears straight forward.
Normally when a bearing is going out a slight turn of the steering wheel either left or right will make it "howl" when driving of course

07 Silverado crew cab
5.7 Ls1 - PCMofNC Tune - 216/220 - 243's - Tbss Intake - 2600 Circle-D - UPD cai - 6.2 catback - LPP - Aeroforce
02 2500hd crew cab Lb7 - PPe standard - Profab intake horn - aFe filter - 4" MRPB - AirDog II 165 - Aeroforce
03 Tahoe 5.3 Z71 - Tune - UPD cai - Magnaflow - Servos - Aeroforce
andrew383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
On The Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew383 View Post
for starters id cross the front tires to the rear and move the rears straight forward.
Normally when a bearing is going out a slight turn of the steering wheel either left or right will make it "howl" when driving of course
Tire rotation was done before hitting the long road. And yeah, I took her out for a spin and when turning right, the sound remains, when turning left, the sound stops as the weight on the left wheel diminishes. It's definite that it has to do with the drivers side left wheel.
I'll take everyone's word for it and say it's the drivers side bearing assembly. God knows how much longer it'll last at this point.

These can be purchased anywhere, but any suggestions as to what brand I should purchase?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
TECH Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to LS1TRUCKGUY

the only advise here would be go with some good ones, dont skimp out on the cheap ones to save a buck. i really have no preference as where to buy them. i usually get everything from advanced auto parts since its close to me. IMO, i would go ahead and replace both driver and passenger sides while you are at it
5.3|212/218|trick stage 2 kit|circle D 2B|80e|3:73|truetrac
463hp 477tq on 10psi

"If it's cheap and reliable it isn't fast,
If it's cheap and fast it isn't reliable,
If it's fast and reliable it isn't cheap"
LS1TRUCKGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
Where's the Beef?

Send a message via MSN to viciousknid Send a message via Yahoo to viciousknid

My s10 blazer did that for a few weeks and I just rode it out. It would get REALLY LOUD as I sped up and then at like 45 or 50 It would CLUNK and stop doing it until I slowed back down to about 35 and it would do it again. It eventually stopped doing it. Either the problem quit or the 2 pieces grinded until they wouldn't hit anymore. Either way it was a self fixing problem for me.
I was thinking it wasn't disengaging all the way. Eventually switched to a manual actuator instead of vacuum. That being said. COULD it possible be the Actuator not disengaging all the way?

Does yours do it ONLY in 2wd too?

To Err is Human. To ARRR is Pirate.
viciousknid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Trader Rating: 10
Wearin' da big hat

We sell National Bearings at O'reillys, they're pretty decent but the price on these hubs is pretty steep.

1993 International Bus - Short wheelbase
CAI - Flowmaster - Custom Tunes
00ChevyScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #10
Trader Rating: 21
11 Second Hall Moniter

Probably had nothing to do with what's going on in your avatar.......

AKlowriderZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 AM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
96, chevy, coming, dodge, front, grinding, higher, makes, making, noise, powerstroke, rear, sound, speeds, trailblazer, truck