Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

NNBS Intake w/78mm TB

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NNBS Intake w/78mm TB

I scored a good deal on a NNBS intake. It's complete with rails, flex injectors, TB, everything. The problem is, I bought it and I shouldn't have even spent that money just now so I obviously can't drop the cash for the XLink right now. It costs more than my whole intake setup. I went ahead and picked up a 4 bolt to 3 bolt adapter plate so I can use my stock throttle body for now. Every thread that I've seen where someone asked about this, the response is "don't bother, the throttle body will kill all the gains". However, I think it may be possible that the intake itself will flow better at high RPMs. Someone tested the truck throttle body and found it to flow around 780cfm. My 6.0 running perfectly efficiently should only require 741 cfm at 7000 rpm. I could see how a bigger TB might make it feel faster since it allows more air in at less throttle, but I'm hopeful that I'll get some gains off what I have until I can pick up an xlink. I've just been obsessing about this and wanted to see if I could get a conversation going about it.

I wish I had the time to figure out how the xlink works but I can tell that it's not as simple as it seems. I think its probably splitting a 5 volt reference into two and ohming down a couple of circuits to get the signals right but obviously DrX is the only one who knows. Anyway, that's a completely different topic.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

I think it'll run better with what you have. The 87mm TB is more ideal but the NNBS intake is so much better than the NBS one.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

That's what I'm thinking. I'll get the 87mm on there before long. This will get me close. I went ahead and ordered the adapter plate and injector adapters. I think I'll eventually solder ev6 pigtails on as well. It's not like I'm ever going back to truck injectors.

I'm super excited about the injectors. I spent some time building tables for these for a customer all the while wishing I had some for myself.

I should get the intake on this weekend but my wideband is on a customers car. Once I can tune wot I'll report back if it feels any better. I have access to a dyno so when I get an xlink I'll do before and after pulls. I will not get to do a pull with the stock intake.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A way to get an idea of how much you're leaving in the table with the 78mm TB would be to compare your MAP readings at WOT to your map readings with key on/engine off. Ideally you would want these readings to match as closely as possible, which would indicate zero restriction at WOT.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Wouldnt the map read atomspheric pressure koeo? I know i usually use it as a quick raionality check for the map and maf sensors, more specifically the baro metric pressure reading to verify the vehicle isnt trying to run like its in outerspace while we are actualy at sea level which will cause all kinds of drivability issues..
Old 02-17-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

I get this concept. yes, with the engine not running it will read atmospheric so if at full throttle, there is a restriction, then it will be creating a vacuum. So if the bigger throttle body helps you, it'll get you closer to atm pressure at WOT. Less vacuum means more air.

However, I won't be able to tell the difference until I've run each TB. I've had a very good running motor with a big intake and TB and I've always made a little vacuum. Something like 5kPa.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Can anyone help me find a NNBS map connector pigtail? I can also use all of the EVAP parts.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

What year MAP pigtail do you need? The '07-'09 NNBS was the same as the NBS, but the '10-'13 did use a different MAP sensor. I may be wrong, but I don't think that the maps are interchangeable? Either way, I think I've got extra pigtails of each. You're welcome to have them if you swing down here to pick them up, or I'll mail them up to Austin for just the cost of shipping.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by axekick
I get this concept. yes, with the engine not running it will read atmospheric so if at full throttle, there is a restriction, then it will be creating a vacuum. So if the bigger throttle body helps you, it'll get you closer to atm pressure at WOT. Less vacuum means more air.

However, I won't be able to tell the difference until I've run each TB. I've had a very good running motor with a big intake and TB and I've always made a little vacuum. Something like 5kPa.

My '99's cammed 6.0L is within 2kpa of koeo pressure at WOT with the TBSS intake and 92MM throttlebody. Running a NNBS Airaid MIT tube and cut airbox with a K&N panel.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

get MAF readings with small intake and compare them to new intake MAF readings. that tell ya how much more air is going through.