Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(New Kid) have some motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (New Kid) have some motor questions

i have some very basic and nooby questions. I have 2002 silverado 1500 with a stock 5.3 the only things I've done to it is add AEM intake, Flowmaster exhaust and a throttle body spacer. I'm new to a lot of this motor stuff but I'm hungry to learn more. My motor just got to 134k miles and Ive curious to know what i should change out and replace at this many miles. I'm considering either throwing some serious power into this 5.3 or saving up and building up a mean 6.0 and throwing it in later. and suggestions on what i should ? Ive been researching and reading a lot on here about cams and piston and all the basic stuff to gain some serious power.

My truck also has a 4L60 and 4.11 Gears
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM

Thinking about a 222/222 Cam and COMP Springs
Old 07-02-2014, 08:34 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Ditch the TB spacer. Its junk. Also, flowmaster arent great for HP... they dont flow. You need a straight through muffler design.

The cam is a good one for a 5.3, but a bit on the aggressive side unless youre all high speed all the time for an off road truck.

First order of business should be headers and a computer tune. Do the basics and hang around a little bit... you'll learn a lot. Not need to jump right into a cam just yet. Grab a trans cooler too since im sure it sees really high temps the way you use it.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would wait and do a 6.0 if it were me but it depends on your end goals and how you want to get there. What kind of power do you want to get to eventually? Do you want to do forced induction at some point?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Also, flowmaster arent great for HP... they dont flow.
This is simply not true. Flowmaster designs, tests, and proves its products under real world conditions in the dyno cell, at the track, and on the road. All of our mufflers have been designed to provide performance gains when properly installed and used in the correct vehicle application.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:38 PM

Thats a good point starting slowing with headers and a tune. I was thinking about getting the Borla Xr1 muffler since its more of a straight through. And like the other guy was saying with the 6.0 my end goals are to probably build up a nasty motor on the side with the 6.0 or 5.3 again and swap it once this 5.3 gets some more miles on it. So should i just do all of these mods once i get a new motor? and yes i would love to do forced induction later on once i have the $$
Old 07-02-2014, 02:40 PM

And yeah this truck is also my DD as well but once its out in the dirt or desert its running hot and fast the whole time. i want to take care of my motors especially if i build a nice once eventually my truck will have 2 fans running to the motor.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster
This is simply not true. Flowmaster designs, tests, and proves its products under real world conditions in the dyno cell, at the track, and on the road. All of our mufflers have been designed to provide performance gains when properly installed and used in the correct vehicle application.
I beg to differ. I had a rust master on my 09 chevy. The only thing I noticed was drone and a dump in gas mileage. It did sound good tho
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by KozzyJr
I beg to differ. I had a rust master on my 09 chevy. The only thing I noticed was drone and a dump in gas mileage. It did sound good tho
Your mpg may have dropped because it was harder to let your foot off of the gas after installing such a great sounding muffler.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster
Your mpg may have dropped because it was harder to let your foot off of the gas after installing such a great sounding muffler.
In all honesty it drop 2 mpg on avg between a 50/50 mix of driving. Just a crappy muffler overall for flow

Quick Reply: (New Kid) have some motor questions