Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New to the 5.3 cam selection

Old 12-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the 5.3 cam selection

Ok folks so I'm new to this forum, I hope I'm posting in the correct place. My father recently passed away and left me a 2000 Silverado 2wd with a 5.3. This truck has been babied for sure. Long story short I put a specter CAI on it and it's got a mild time in it from Gwatney Performance here in town ( Little Rock ). Everything else is stock besides some oe rep 22s and Dynomax exhaust ( still single pipe out back ) I'm mechanically inclined and have basically done everything to my past trucks and this one myself except deep motor stuff ( cam, heads, etc...) a little intimidated by that kinda stuff but am willing to give it a try. Want to put a cam in it but no stall or anything like that. Just a mild cam and I guess valve springs or whatever I have to change to do it. I apologize for the ignorance, just never really done motor work. Somewhere around a comp 212/ 218 I guess. And what does 114 I mean I know lift. It what does Lsa mean in a description. Any advice or info is much appreciated.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The LSA has a large effect on the manners of the cam. Long story short a tighter LSA (smaller number) means idle will chop more and it will have more mid range.

The 212/218 is a decent option for you.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm learning myself. This article helps.

Lobe Separation Angle Explained and How it Affects Horsepower
Old 12-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My honest opinion. Brian Tooley's Truck Stage 2 cam, 212/218 .553/.553 113+2 LSA. I am in the process of installing this cam on my truck and my buddy just installed and had it retuned. This cam has a nice chop at idle and performs awesome. He had a Comp XR265 cam in before and switched to the BTR, it seems to outperform the Comp ever so slightly, and the time slips at the 1/4 show the same. It is very minimal but if I had to choose between those two, the BTR would be my choice since it seems to outperform the XR265. Also, the Brian Tooley cam is cut on a Comp core as well.

Search this Thread