Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

nelson tune for whipple

Old 05-31-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

etc-Thx for the heads up!!!! You saved me the hassle of a new belt! I've only had this rig 3 years, and just now find there is a slot behind the pulley for adjustment? I am too old!
At least theres a place to find this info. Thx again!
Old 05-31-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

you may not have the pulley i'm speaking of, it's pretty obvious and i doubt you'd miss it. if you don't have it, you may may be able to take up some slack with the alternator adjustment. unless that's already maxed. if that does'nt work, maybe try napa auto parts, they seem to have the most selection of belts, at least around here. e
Old 06-03-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

so i just got done cleaning up my rigged solonoid bypass. i would have sworn that even after i did it i was only seeing 5 psi at 5500 rpms. i took it out for a run to make sure everything was groovy, i glanced at the boost gauge at shift and i saw 6psi, there was no traffic so i did it 3 more times just to be sure, 6 psi everytime. allen has me shifting at 5500 right now so i'm only getting it for a second but i've got 5 1/2 above 5200. wonder if i was still losing some boost somehow. i put a real vacumn cap on the diaphram and a 1/8 npt plug in the hole. guess this means when i get the smaller pulley i'll be about 8 psi at 5500. interesting. i'll have to have allen raise my shift points some on the next tune. e
Old 06-03-2004, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dbs1
etc-Thx for the heads up!!!! You saved me the hassle of a new belt! I've only had this rig 3 years, and just now find there is a slot behind the pulley for adjustment? I am too old!
At least theres a place to find this info. Thx again!
no problem, that's why we all come here. e
Old 06-16-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

just updating on the tune, looks like we went a little to far on the timing. third tune is in showing a little kr at wot. 2nd tune was really good, looks like we went up a couple degrees in both the octane tables. probably drop down 1 degree and see what happens. i'm sure it's the damn 91 octane they pass off as " super", not so super at $2.58 a gallon if you ask me. oh well. also bumped the shift firmness and shift points up a 100 1-2 and 2-3, that helped. still don't have the pulley, going to call tomorrow. probably keep the trans where it is and back the timing to the 2nd tune plus whatever else allen thinks for the extra boost. still running great. e
Old 06-25-2004, 03:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

yes i realize i'm the only one still posting in this thread. got my pulleys yesterday, installed the 3 3/4 one [also got a 3 5/8]. my tune was way to aggresive, not bad normal driving but bad kr at wot. started playing with the tune myself since allen was having computer issues, it's getting better, but i'm sure he'll probably nail it on the first or second try. what ever happened to denali ? thought he was doing the conversion then he disappered. anyway, can totally feel the extra boost even though the truck is pulling gobs of timing from the kr. comes on much sooner and pulls harder, can't say how much boost i got yet, don't like keeping it floored with those large kr numbers. but i'm getting 6+ at around 4k. e
Old 06-25-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

i just found this post! man where was I??? congrats on your pully change! how many #s of boost do you have now? i really needed this page cuz im fixing to bypass my whipple crap too. thanks guys
Old 06-25-2004, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

not sure on the boost yet, hoping for a modified tune from allen today. i don't have the rpm vs cylinder volume thing down yet, so exactly where to start pulling timing in the octane tables is hit or miss. i was getting 6 psi at 5400-5500 shifting at 5600. before the bypass i was only getting 5. now i'm getting 6 at 4k so hoping for 8 just before shift. if i don't quite make it i got a 3 5/8 pulley to try. when i called whipple they said their new thing, since they've had so many people return pulleys, is to sell them in pairs and give you 15% off the second one. i figured what the hell and got two. i would recommend bypassing all the computer stuff, my truck runs much better have'nt had any issues since i did it. i can actually tune it and see what's really going on, rather than what the piggyback was telling my pcm was going on. btw when i plugged the hole with the 1/8 plug, i could'nt get the 90 degree barb fitting out w/o removing the egr, so i cut the 1st barb off so i could unscrew it. i'll post psi #'s when i get this kr under control. e
Old 06-25-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by etc
when i called whipple they said their new thing, since they've had so many people return pulleys, is to sell them in pairs and give you 15% off the second one.
What did they charge you for them thar pulleys?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

funny you should ask, i was wondering that myself. i talked to chris, he said $60 for the first one and 15% off the second. when i got it there was no dollar amounts on the invoice. i will give him this though, he got them to me the next day. i'll check my bill and let you know the total. e

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nelson tune for whipple