Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

nelson tune for whipple

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 03:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ryan, i was just thinking about what you said, have you tried doing what i described above ? the only thing i could think of that might cause the lack of boost is leaving the computer online, leaving the wire on the solonoid, disconnecting the vacumn line and plugging it, but not capping the solonoid nipple. in this case the diverted boost would not go to the diaphram [ holding the bypass partially closed] but would blow off boost. just a thought. e
Old 05-23-2004, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Hey coontoot, what kind of 1/4mile times are you running?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by etc
coon, all you have to do is disconnect and plug the lower vacumn line and cap the nipple it was on. all the electric solonoid does when it opens is allow boosted air to the diaphram which counters the vacumn used to open the bypass valve, which in effect holds it half shut. i'm running without the computer and i don't know what will happen if the computer opens the solonoid under boost [might blow your plug off]. if you unplug it i believe the default is closed. there are only two vacumn lines going to it one goes to the bypass diaphram [disconnect this one] the other goes to a fitting on the boosted side. my scanner is on the fritz or i'd post a picture from my install directions. if for some reason this isn't clear i can fax it to you. e
etc- If you could fax it to 800-305-3233 attn: Scott, that would be great. Since all the plumbing is on the underside, it would really help to have a diagram. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bigbody
Hey coontoot, what kind of 1/4mile times are you running?
Well, there are no 1/4 mile tracks near me, but there is an 1/8th mile one. Once I get the Whipple computer figured out (maybe in this lifetime..) I am going to the track.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
Hey glad to hear things are getting better for you man!
Do you have a boost gauge, how much boost are you seeing? I bet you don't get over four psi with the bypass disconnected. If you do see more than four, please post back on here. Thanks,
-Ryan
I think you are right on this one, Ryan. I hope like hell that once that smaller pully is on etc's truck, it shows more than 4.5 (or 5) PSI. Big difference between 5 and 10 PSI - I tried disconnecting the solenoid harness yesterday...at 4.5, she runs like my 4 cyl Camry!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

coontoot, i faxed that page over, i reread what i wrote earlier, and i should have said i think the default is open, meaning if the whipple has a catostophic failure including power is keeps the valve open to lower boost and protect the motor. you would in effect be recreating this scenario by unplugging it. with the valve unplugged, the hose sealed and the solonoid nipple capped [tightly and securely] it is effectually bypassed, it has no effect on the bypass valve, which is actuated by the vacumn in your intake. reread what i wrote in the above post, all it does is equalize pressure on the opposite side of the diaphram, which stops the vacumn from fully opening the valve. when it is bypassed the amount of generated boost should have no effect on whether or not the valve is opened.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by etc
coontoot, i faxed that page over, i reread what i wrote earlier, and i should have said i think the default is open, meaning if the whipple has a catostophic failure including power is keeps the valve open to lower boost and protect the motor. you would in effect be recreating this scenario by unplugging it. with the valve unplugged, the hose sealed and the solonoid nipple capped [tightly and securely] it is effectually bypassed, it has no effect on the bypass valve, which is actuated by the vacumn in your intake. reread what i wrote in the above post, all it does is equalize pressure on the opposite side of the diaphram, which stops the vacumn from fully opening the valve. when it is bypassed the amount of generated boost should have no effect on whether or not the valve is opened.
Thanks for the fax...I will get it in the AM when I get to work. Much appreciated. This description above now makes sense; just required some thought on my side . I am gonna take a look at it tommorrow after work and see if I can get the same results as you. I will let ya know if I can get-r-done.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

coontoot, i should have written something on the fax about this. the picture at first glance is deceivingthat vacumn line [ between the bolted on elbow and the wire with the heat shield on it] does not go to the solonoid, it passes underneath. you can see the line come out the other side, i really had to look at it. since it has worked for me, i'm going to remove that fitting to the right of the diaphram and plug the hole, and also cap the nipple on the diaphram itself rather than plug the line [ less connections to leak ] . anyway good luck, btw, the original info for doing this came straight from whipple. and i will post psi results by rpm as soon as i get the smaller pulley.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing is the boost (above that 4.5-5ish point) blows the butterfly on the bypass open. Yes the vacuum part is solved by what you stated and it will not pull open the butterfly, but I think without that solenoid hooked up the boost pushes the butterfly open. I think the solenoid holds the valve shut above 4.5-5ish psi.

...this is at least what I have noticed when I had things unhooked. Whipple told me you could bypass the blowoff and show above 5psi, but I think he was confused and was talking about the older mechanical bypass setup. (the older 2 belt whipple)

Either way we'll see when you get the smaller pulley I hope it does work!!! Good luck guys.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

etc -

All I have to say is

I disconnected the line from the diaphragm to the solenoid. Capped the end (which WAS connected to the solenoid). Capped off the solenoid nipple and went for a spin. Dude, all 10 PSI were available. You were absolutely correct...the disconnection has zero net effect on the bypass valve. Thanks again for the fax; that page is from the Whipple install manual which I actually have. I installed the damn thing so long ago, I forgot that the pic was in there...duh.

Ryan - I will post up pics if you need to see what to do.

Quick Reply: nelson tune for whipple