Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nelson tune for whipple

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

etc., I just got off the phone with Allen. He's sending me your exact tune. We both agreed that you and I have the same setup and yours runs great. I'm still confused about the solenoid thing. give me a buzz if you can, maybe you can talk me thru it. 603-664-5519 Thanks, Dan
Old 08-22-2004, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dan, sorry i'm not here much, trying to rebuild 3 quads and work and all the other stuff. hopefully the new tune should straighten things out, that's if there is no mechanical issue. still trying to get some info on the difference between the single and double pulley s/c's. on the single, there is a solonoid that the whipple computer uses to limit boost if it senses a problem. the default position of the solonoid is to limit boost, so when you unplug the computer it goes to default position and limits the available boost. on the single [and i assume the double] there should only be one vacumn reference line going in to the butterfly diaphram [ open=full boost, closed=no boost runs n/a]. until i figure this out the best suggestion i can give is to find the diaphram, follow the vacumn line routing, there should be a vacumn line going to just behind the throttle body, this is what the s/c uses to reference the butterfly, and therefore the boost. try having only this line attatched to the diaphram, and plug the rest. let me know how it's going. if i get a minute i'll give you a call, what's the best time to get you ? . p.s my tune is working well, still have a couple trans and a/f ratio tweaks we're going to try, if they work good i'll let you know and you can get them from allen. e
Old 08-22-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

I just started a new thread "nelson tune for whipple update"
Initially I thought it was perfect. Then i drove it a little more. I still have issues at 55mph. As soon as the torque converter locks up, something messed up is happening. If I give it gas, the thing sometimes bucks real hard, i don't hear the engine rev at all, it's totally f'd up. I guess it must be mechanical.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, i took a look at the solenoid again. there is a hose going from it toward the throttle body. I left that alone. There is another that WAS going from it to the part that has the wires coming off of it. I totally removed the thing that the wiring went into, so, that end of the hose is just hanging there. No air blowing or sucking as far as I can tell. There Was another hose coming out of that wire thing too that goes to the solenoid. That one is now gone. Then solenoid end of it sucks. I temporarily capped it off. Does that sound like the right thing to do?

Also, I am absolutely positive that my torque converter is the problem. Whether it's mechanical or electrical, I don't know. When I hit 50-55mph and am just cruising, I feel the tranny kick down (TCC lockup?) if I give it a little gas, i don't hear the engine rev, the tach drops a little, the boost goes up and the fuel pressure goes up. How is that possible?
Old 08-22-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you got it as that is how mine is done. Congrats!
Old 08-25-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey denali, ok, sounds like you got the solonoid thing down, did it work out ok ? . as far as the trans is concerned, it sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to, but i don't know what the "bucking" is. when it shifts from 3rd to 4th it will should lock in after a few seconds, the boost and fuel will go up a little because when the t/c is slipping there is actually a little less load on the motor [like slipping a clutch and letting it rev] . can you log the timing when it's doing this ? it may be knocking and pulling timing, that would cause it to buck a bit. if your tc is pulling fine through all the gears and only doing it when you hit od, i would'nt think that's the problem. how's the fluid color, smell, have you had it changed lately ? i've been told these trannies are very fussy about dirty fluid, don't know if it's because the filter gets too clogged and it can't get enough fluid through or if some orifices get clogged. did'nt see your new thread on the first 2 pages but i'll find it and we can continue there. hope we're seeing light at the end of the tunnel. e
Old 11-28-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, I noticed yesterday that when i uncap the one that sucks, i get much better performance. Hmmm. Is this a bad idea?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Default Help on whipple electronics removal

Hey all...I've searched high and low for pics of this here to no avail..pretty old thread, huh? I'm looking for some help removing/relocating the vacuum lines on my whippled 5.3(2002). If anyone has a pic or some concrete advice I'd sure love to hear it...btw, I had Black Bear remove the electronics side on my pcm..just need to get this vacuum sorted out.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i heard zippy is best.