Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nelson tune for whipple

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 03:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nelson tune for whipple

talked to allen today, seems very cool, anyway he sent the edit tune a couple hours later. i bypassed the whipple electronics and the electric bypass solonoid, loaded the program and took it for a spin and, damn it actually worked. the power feels different than it did, more linear. have'nt logged it yet, but don't feel/hear any detonation. per our conversation i think the tune is mild, so there may be a little more in there. he also gave the thumbs up on the smaller pulley, up from 5 to 7-7 1/2 lbs, can't wait, it's not over yet, but, it's the first time i've felt confident that my truck is going to run perfect, since i bought the whipple 7mos. ago. maybe soon i'll have to take it to the track and get a cc on the fastest truck list. if you have a whipple and hate it, theres hope, call allen. i'm glad i did.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:23 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

cooool man. glad to hear allen could help you out.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

I agree 100%...wait until you get the 93 tune! The tune made the Whipple that much more of a beast! Allen is the man!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Good deal, glad it worked out. Allen is the man. Its good to get rid of that whipple computer...
Old 05-21-2004, 07:15 AM
TECH Regular

etc-

How exactly did you bypass the bypass solenoid? I think you and RanWalk have both accomplished this. I need to know what to nplug as far as the vacuum/boost lines. I believe the Whipple EFI wiring to the solenoid needs to be unhooked, but am unsure which vacuum/boost line to plug on the underside. Have any pics or a diagram?Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-21-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO; boosting safely is ALL about the correct tune; something I wouldn't be willing to compromise with a mail order tune which is hit or miss at best on an application like this. You really need that thing on a dynomometer.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by treyZ28
IMHO; boosting safely is ALL about the correct tune; something I wouldn't be willing to compromise with a mail order tune which is hit or miss at best on an application like this. You really need that thing on a dynomometer.
you obviously don't have a whipple with their craptronics. the logs i took with the whipple were scary as hell, ultra low o2 readings [lean] unaffected by changing to larger injectors. aux inj's that may or may not be triggered by their garbage computer. the intitial tune allen sent me, runs better, logs better, there are no audible sounds of detonation [which there were before]. while i agree that taking the truck to him is the optimum, it's not a real option. i have the tools to do it myself, all i need is someone to help that knows the cause and effect of edit. i believe i'm correct in saying allen bases his tunes on same or similar trucks he's done on the dyno, and starts with a mild tune. he does'nt take your money send you a tune and say see ya later, it's a learning process. being a hands on person i like the fact that i get to review what he's done, and learn how the tune comes together. for someone who just throws money at their truck, let's other people do all the work, and then basks in the glory, i agree they should'nt get involved, but i'm not like that.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CoonToot
etc-

How exactly did you bypass the bypass solenoid? I think you and RanWalk have both accomplished this. I need to know what to nplug as far as the vacuum/boost lines. I believe the Whipple EFI wiring to the solenoid needs to be unhooked, but am unsure which vacuum/boost line to plug on the underside. Have any pics or a diagram?Any help would be greatly appreciated!
coon, all you have to do is disconnect and plug the lower vacumn line and cap the nipple it was on. all the electric solonoid does when it opens is allow boosted air to the diaphram which counters the vacumn used to open the bypass valve, which in effect holds it half shut. i'm running without the computer and i don't know what will happen if the computer opens the solonoid under boost [might blow your plug off]. if you unplug it i believe the default is closed. there are only two vacumn lines going to it one goes to the bypass diaphram [disconnect this one] the other goes to a fitting on the boosted side. my scanner is on the fritz or i'd post a picture from my install directions. if for some reason this isn't clear i can fax it to you. e
Old 05-22-2004, 01:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey glad to hear things are getting better for you man!
Do you have a boost gauge, how much boost are you seeing? I bet you don't get over four psi with the bypass disconnected. If you do see more than four, please post back on here. Thanks,
-Ryan
Old 05-23-2004, 03:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

ryan, yes i have a gauge, and i'm seeing a full 5psi somewhere above 4k. i have some more logging to do tommorow i'll let you know what rpm i'm seeing full boost at. allen is supposed to have a smaller pulley drop shipped to me, hopefully early next week, then i should be seeing 7 psi. since my tune is so mild right now i'm going to leave it alone and see what it looks like with the extra boost. i'm curious ,what is your reasoning behind the comment ?

Quick Reply: nelson tune for whipple