Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help understanding Big Block options

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help understanding Big Block options

Hey guys...

I am getting ready to jump into a new project. however due to cash flow I want to take it one step at a time.

Here is what I want to end up with eventually:
'68-'80 SCSB
500+ rwhp 450+rwtq
T56 or similar
running carbed setup
$2000 on motor all said and done (not including trans)

So i decided first off I will build the engine. I have considerable experiance, tools, ect but not with american engines. I initially thought I would start with a 350 or maybe LS1, but then someone suggested a 454 BBC. I cant seem to find too much info online regarding building them for preformance applications.

basically I want the following answered:

1. Is a BBC going to give me the performance I desire?
2. Is it worth it compared to starting with a 350 or LS1?
3. Do I start with a Mark IV or Gen 5 (Vortec 7400) or try to grab a Vortec 8100? Aside from a few trivial bits I cant find enough info comparing them.
4. Is the T56 going to bolt up to any of the above?
5. I want at least 6500 RPM ... can I have that with a BBC?
6. What are the best vehicles to pull from? I can get the 454 from a big truck, but regarding the 350 I am a bit confused between the variants.
7. Would i be better of with a different LS engine... maybe a 5.3L LM7?

And info or links regarding anything I might have missed. This is a street fun truck. It will rarely see a 1/4 mile, or an autocross. Its mostly for smokey burnouts and cruising fun. Something like the Roadkill Chevy.

Thanks. Mods please move this if I am in the wrong section...

Last edited by mvrk10256; 03-10-2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

My opinion, but the LS engines are the best street engines that GM has put out. They are cheap, reliable, handle a ton of power, light weight, and compact. They are certainly not the best at everything, but they have broad appeal. You can certainly put a big block or small block in there to make that power, but I would consider a fuel injected LS engine in there. You could have a junkyard 5.3, do some head work, put a good cam in it, and have a good nitrous plate kit to make your power all day long with 100lbs less weight than a big block and double the gas mileage.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic
My opinion, but the LS engines are the best street engines that GM has put out. They are cheap, reliable, handle a ton of power, light weight, and compact. They are certainly not the best at everything, but they have broad appeal. You can certainly put a big block or small block in there to make that power, but I would consider a fuel injected LS engine in there. You could have a junkyard 5.3, do some head work, put a good cam in it, and have a good nitrous plate kit to make your power all day long with 100lbs less weight than a big block and double the gas mileage.
Thanks for the reply. The issue is that I cant seem to find any engines in any state for less than 1200 for a junkyard ****. That doesnt leave much room for mods and tuning. While I do agree with you I am not sure I necessarily want FI. Fuel economy is not really a concern, however drivability is.

Also I have no plans on nitrous. In Texas I do not consider it a viable option for a street truck.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:11 PM
I have a gauge for that

Well the good thing about nitrous is it doesnt do anything unless you turn it on. I was thinking for those glory days when you want to go to the track or race a buddy. Another easy 100hp on tap. I am a fan of boost, as well, but thats not really doable with your budget (or needed for your goals).

Around here 5.3s usually go for 500ish, maybe a little more with all accessories and harness, but around that.

Drivability will be much better with a good tuned FI engine compard to a carb. Unless you want to be constantly fiddling with jets and set screws, then have at it. Carbs have their place, but I wouldnt say driveability is one of them.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are wanting 500whp I don't think $2000 for the engine is a reasonable expectation no matter what engine you start with. Even 500fwhp would still be a stretch to do for $2000.

To get 500hp your going to have to go FI on anything smaller than a 6.0 most likely. Even a 6.0 will require head/intake work along with the usual bolt-ons. The bolt-ons alone would run close to $2000 depending on manufacturer. Not to mention you would need a huge cam to go along with the heads/intake to get close to 500hp N/A which would cause drivability to suffer IMO.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Atomic
Well the good thing about nitrous is it doesnt do anything unless you turn it on. I was thinking for those glory days when you want to go to the track or race a buddy. Another easy 100hp on tap. I am a fan of boost, as well, but thats not really doable with your budget (or needed for your goals).

Around here 5.3s usually go for 500ish, maybe a little more with all accessories and harness, but around that.

Drivability will be much better with a good tuned FI engine compard to a carb. Unless you want to be constantly fiddling with jets and set screws, then have at it. Carbs have their place, but I wouldnt say driveability is one of them.
I would totally grab one for $500. Its a weekend thing, so carbs are not an issue for me, plus I sort of want the experiance. I have done a ton of FI work (XFI, MS, homebrew, ect), I kinda want the experiance of using a big carb, and ajdusting timing by turn the distributor. That may seem childish, but this is meant to be a toy, something I can wrench on and enjoy my way. I am not interested in competing in it.

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
If you are wanting 500whp I don't think $2000 for the engine is a reasonable expectation no matter what engine you start with. Even 500fwhp would still be a stretch to do for $2000.

To get 500hp your going to have to go FI on anything smaller than a 6.0 most likely. Even a 6.0 will require head/intake work along with the usual bolt-ons. The bolt-ons alone would run close to $2000 depending on manufacturer. Not to mention you would need a huge cam to go along with the heads/intake to get close to 500hp N/A which would cause drivability to suffer IMO.
Unfortunatly if we were talking about M20s M50s, S50s I would know what it costs. Everyone always talks aobut how cheap american motors are, and I figured 2K would be a solid motor. Am I far off? is 2500 a good place to be for the power levels I want, or do I need like $6k to get there. Where is that step of diminishing returns?
Old 03-10-2015, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Also would be nice if someone could factually adress question 3 & 4, everything else aside.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:18 PM
I have a gauge for that

On #3, I am pretty sure the Mark 4 blocks are the most widely used. I know there is a very limited aftermarket for the 8.1, and I would not recommend it.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

I laughed when I saw 500 RWHP on a 2k budget for the entire engine. my heads and rockers new are close to $3,500 new. then you need the short block, gaskets, bolts, cam, intake, carb, ignition, headers, pushrods and all of the nickel & dime stuff in between. and I HOPE that I reach 500 RWHP.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
I laughed when I saw 500 RWHP on a 2k budget for the entire engine. my heads and rockers new are close to $3,500 new. then you need the short block, gaskets, bolts, cam, intake, carb, ignition, headers, pushrods and all of the nickel & dime stuff in between. and I HOPE that I reach 500 RWHP.
Like I said in the OP. I have basically no experiance with chevy v8. All I ever hear is that V8s are cheap and make monster power.

What could I build for $2k? I am keeping it simple - a carb on top. Start with a running $500 engine...

I spoke to a friend of mine that is a bit more experiance. He said 383 might be the way to go. Seems like an eagle kit is around $800 from Summit for a 350.

Quick Reply: Need Help understanding Big Block options