Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help with my 5.3 to lq9 swap

Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Egr tube.... Delete!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Egr tube.... Delete!!!
X2 unless you have emissions requirements in your area or need it for inspection.

Despite what its suppose to do, all it does is make a mess inside the intake.
Even Gm finally figured out they didn't need it by 2002 and adjusted the tune accordingly.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
X2 unless you have emissions requirements in your area or need it for inspection.

Despite what its suppose to do, all it does is make a mess inside the intake.
Even Gm finally figured out they didn't need it by 2002 and adjusted the tune accordingly.
I live in California so they are quite strict, so what would I do if the new motor doesn't have it? Should I be fine just using the intake from the new motor or would I get a check engine lite because it's not plugged in?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

If you live in CA, You have no choice but to reuse the old intake manifold. In stock form it will set a check engine light.

It will also need to be in place for the Visual inspection.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Have it tuned out!!!
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Have it tuned out!!!
It still needs to be in place for the visual inspection or it will automatically fail.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It still needs to be in place for the visual inspection or it will automatically fail.
So I would have to use the manifolds as well because that's where they connect to right? My other question is can I use the newer fuel rails and injecters on the old intake?
Old 10-09-2015, 05:57 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by derocafela_1
So I would have to use the manifolds as well because that's where they connect to right? My other question is can I use the newer fuel rails and injecters on the old intake?
Yes, would need to reuse the exhaust manifolds or find shorty headers with the provision that are CARB legal. There a waist though...

Newer fuel rail is most likely a returnless and will not work.

Injectors will most likely flow the same so you wouldn't gain anything. You probably tear the o-rings taking them out too.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, would need to reuse the exhaust manifolds or find shorty headers with the provision that are CARB legal. There a waist though...

Newer fuel rail is most likely a returnless and will not work.

Injectors will most likely flow the same so you wouldn't gain anything. You probably tear the o-rings taking them out too.
They make long tubes with the egr flange too.... Im fairly certain all of the pace setters have em, couldnt you block both ends of it off and tune it out to make the inspectors visually happy, i think ive seen a few 99-02 that didnt have egr valves... Know for fact i have an 02 av in shop right now that doesnt!!!

I beg to differ on the fuel rail, the returnless will work, ask me how??!! Vette filter with built in FPR, wix makes one i think i paid about $20 for...

8.1 marine injectors probably best way to go, if the fuel rail is retunless and/or flex fuel the injectors are usually slightly higher flow rate, at least thats my understanding....
Old 10-09-2015, 11:48 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

It won't work in CA.

Long Tube's are not CARB approved. You can not move the Catalytic converters from the factory location. You also can not delete them either. If they look like they have been replaced, they will look for the number on the Catalytic convert to make sure its 50 State legal.

Now that being said, They have no Idea if the EGR is functional or not as they do not test it. I had mine turned off along with the Air injection. I got tired of replacing the Air injection valves at $50 a pop. That system only works on start up and the EGR rarely turned on due to the speed limits and my Driving habits any way... Both Items were virtually useless.

His vehicle was built with it and if its not there you will fail the visual. It's already been recorded in the system as having them. If another station says they are not there, Inspectors will show up at the station to find out what happened. Then they will Flag his truck in the system and could possibly bring him in for another inspection or suspend his registration.

The 8.1 and the flex fuel injectors have higher flow rates. But The flex fuel ones have a different connector. I believe it is an EV6 Vs. the Mini Delphi connector on the regular trucks. If you need them, Get them. A tuner can change the flow data and tune accordingly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with my 5.3 to lq9 swap