Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need help with my 5.3 to lq9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Sorry, I forgot about that. Basically they are uploading the software to your existing computer.

Some one with tuning software will have to do it for you. They can either flash it on the bench with a bench harness or they can flash it through the OBD2 port on the truck. The newer operating system has more tables similar to the 03-07 PCM. They give you more options in to fine tune and control things.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by derocafela_1
I actually ended up braking it trying to take the plug out, so I'm going to have to buy a new one. And as for the software I'm completely lost on that hole issue.
I was about to say "how in the hell did you get those out, without braking the NSS and at least one of the connectors??"

Ive noticed the efans actually help keep the engine temp a little cooler than my old fan clutch!! I have them in my 99 hooked up exactly as they would have been in the 04-07vlassic trucks/suvs the only thing i lost was the auto recirculation when my a/c is off.... So i don't have fresh air coming into the cab when my ac/heat are off(which isn't often), which drove me absolutely ape!!!!!
Old 10-04-2015, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I was about to say "how in the hell did you get those out, without braking the NSS and at least one of the connectors??"

Ive noticed the efans actually help keep the engine temp a little cooler than my old fan clutch!! I have them in my 99 hooked up exactly as they would have been in the 04-07vlassic trucks/suvs the only thing i lost was the auto recirculation when my a/c is off.... So i don't have fresh air coming into the cab when my ac/heat are off(which isn't often), which drove me absolutely ape!!!!!
Tell me about it, I was there for 30min trying to take that plug out, I was trying my best not mess up the plug, and thats what ended up happening I broke it and ended up damaging the plug as well using some pliers, it's almost like they glue that sucker together. Did you use oem wiring for the fans? Where does it go connected to? I've been wanting to go to a dealer just to go check out how the efans are on the 06 silverado. I want It to look as factory as possible.lol
Old 10-04-2015, 12:55 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Although it's too late now, You have to heat up the plugs to soften the glue on the early style.

Usually a heat gun or something of the sort works.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:56 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Efans are tied into the head lamp harness on the 05 up trucks.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Efans are tied into the head lamp harness on the 05 up trucks.
And as far as wiring where do they connect to?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:05 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

And as far as wiring where do they connect to?
There is a separate little add on fuse/relay box and they tie into the PCM via 2 pins.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
There is a separate little add on fuse/relay box and they tie into the PCM via 2 pins.
Thanks! Good to know I'm going to stop by the wrecking yard where I bought to engine at he told me he will sell them to me for $100. I'll ask for the fuse box as well. Thanks for all the help
Old 10-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Thanks! Good to know I'm going to stop by the wrecking yard where I bought to engine at he told me he will sell them to me for $100. I'll ask for the fuse box as well. Thanks for all the help
Tell them you need the complete head lamp harness it warped in the same loom. You don't need the main fuse box and it wont work in your truck. You also need the plug that ties into the PCM on the main engine harness.

There is pictures here and it tells you how to do the swap. 06 chevy e-fans 01 chevy
Old 10-04-2015, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

The pins are easy enough to pull out of the pcm harness, just take your time and be careful, bring a really small screwdriver or pick with you for removing the pins!!! I know its pin 42 on one connector and like 33 on the other and they go back inti the same holes on yours but as previously stated, you need to remove the pin goin to your ecm.... You may need to break the harness down and pull the wires for the fans out, not sure the headlight harnesses are interchangable though they may be,thought they used different headlamp bulbs or is it fog lamps??!!!

Quick Reply: Need help with my 5.3 to lq9 swap