Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with my 5.3 to lq9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
So it is possible to use an 02 operating system in the 99-01 pcm??? I really need to learn more about and get a tuning program and start playing with it.... I was told you couldnt force an 02 os into a 99 pcm or that you couldnt program an 02 pcm with a 99 vin.. Arent the pcms the same other than the os??
Yes and No. There were some minor changes internally but It does work. You can't force a vin in HP tuners from what I understand. Also why there licensing structure sucks since its vin based on Hp tuners

EFI Live works differently for that.

There are some minor changes in the OS that have to be addressed but it does work.

I highly recommend you buy your own software. Even if you don't learn to fully tune. You can still go back and make minor changes that will better suite your driving habits. You can also work with a tuner when you have your own software.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

I highly recommend i learb how to quote on here... Lol!!!

I fully agree with needing to get a program and learn to use it, having to pay soneone to tweak my stuff is gonna get old.... Any idea who has best price on hptuners or efilive??
Old 10-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
I highly recommend i learb how to quote on here... Lol!!!

I fully agree with needing to get a program and learn to use it, having to pay soneone to tweak my stuff is gonna get old.... Any idea who has best price on hptuners or efilive??
Not sure. I would start with a look over of each software first.

If you know what your tuner uses that would also be an indication of what you might want.

I think SDPC has a few nice package deals on HP tuners with a Wide band.

I believe there both price controlled for resale. Both will get the job done, Its more a matter of preference for most people.

Look it over and ask questions before you make a decision.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Fairly certain my tuner uses hptuners... He also sells the software.... Want to see if they have a demo on the main site for hptuners and efilive.... Be nice to be able to change my shift points now that ive replaced my converter...without a 2 hour ride....
Old 10-03-2015, 11:36 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

They both have demo, where you can look at the lay out and see what the software is all about.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

If he has HP tuners you can email back and forth with logs and he can make adjustments based on your feedback and email you back.

You will also be able to make small adjustments to things like shift points and so on and tweak it to your liking.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Yes,

As noted earlier in this thread the Oil pressure senor is different, 1 wire Vs. the later 3 wire design, so you will need to swap that. Be careful as it's not un-common for those to break. The plastic on top is brittle and can be easily damaged if your not careful

I did this exact swap for a buddy of mine and we broke his. Had to go to the Parts store and get a new one.

Any tuner can re-tune your PCM with LQ9 parameters. I also recommend using a 2002 operating system as there are a few more tables from the 99. Also If you decide to Run E-fans later it will be an easier swap. Some of the 99-01 operating systems don't function correctly for E fans.

We used an 02 Operating System on my buddies truck and everything functions correctly.

You will have less electrical head aches with DBC.

Just remember this... KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid.
Thanks for the info, sorry but I'm a newbie at this but when you say 2002 operating system where is that located and where can I get one? I kind of want to go efans but undecided still are they any better? One thing I noticed when disconnecting the plugs for the Trans they are different mine has 2 plugs and the one I'm going to put it has 1?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

You need to remove the gear select arm and swap the range switch.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

When you swap the safety switch you will need the small metal alignment piece so that your gear selector shows correctly. Otherwise it may be glitchy.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You need to remove the gear select arm and swap the range switch.
I actually ended up braking it trying to take the plug out, so I'm going to have to buy a new one. And as for the software I'm completely lost on that hole issue.

Quick Reply: Need help with my 5.3 to lq9 swap