Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first 5.3l

Hey guys, I recently joined the forum. I own a 2004 Z71 1500. I am looking to get more power out of it, as it seems to be a little slow for my taste. It already has a few mods on it such as a comp 212/218 112lsa 600 lift cam, 243 heads, and other little stuff for the cam. Now I'm looking into more mods that will further increase my power such as long tube headers, either a dyno tune or a mail order tune, exhaust, and a cold air intake for now. What other stuff am I missing? The engine is a 5.3l. I'm wanting too make around 500hp but I don't think that will be possible with the current cam I have. I'd like to the naturally aspirated for now until I get more money. Any suggestions on where to start I will really appreciate it. I have been reading many threads on different forums too. Thanks again guys, I really hope to learn a lot from everyone!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Not to burst your bubble but lower your goals to 350-400whp. You'd need a much larger engine to hit 500hp on a NA setup, it would need be a pretty agressive setup to reach that goal.

Headers and real tune will surely bump up the power and feel much better. I prefer the intake tubes from Airaid over the CAI's because of cost and the stock airbox flows plenty of air when you cut the side open a little bit.

Other options are to re-gear. Bump up to some 4.10's.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
Not to burst your bubble but lower your goals to 350-400whp. You'd need a much larger engine to hit 500hp on a NA setup, it would need be a pretty agressive setup to reach that goal.

Headers and real tune will surely bump up the power and feel much better. I prefer the intake tubes from Airaid over the CAI's because of cost and the stock airbox flows plenty of air when you cut the side open a little bit.

Other options are to re-gear. Bump up to some 4.10's.
Sorry I wasn't talking about wheel horsepower. Would I be able to achieve 400whp with an air raid intake tube, headers, and a tune along with my current mods? Also is it worth the hassle to fit an ls6 intake manifold on the truck? Or will the truck manifold do fine? I have read threads where people go ls6 manifold and others where people say to keep the truck manifold.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Truck manifold is better for torque, I wouldn't switch it. Using a NNBS intake manifold would be better than the NBS intake though.

I don't see that small cam making 400 to the tire. Seeing how 04+ engines were rated at 295-300hp at the crank and with drivestrain loss that's 250ish at the tire maybe. Gaining 150whp from that setup doesn't seem possible.

Larger cam with a stall converter and good tune with supporting mods would get you closer.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by FFDP
Truck manifold is better for torque, I wouldn't switch it. Using a NNBS intake manifold would be better than the NBS intake though.

I don't see that small cam making 400 to the tire. Seeing how 04+ engines were rated at 295-300hp at the crank and with drivestrain loss that's 250ish at the tire maybe. Gaining 150whp from that setup doesn't seem possible.

Larger cam with a stall converter and good tune with supporting mods would get you closer.
What would be a more reasonable HP output for his cam? Just wondering cause I really don't want to sacrifice too much low end as this will be my daily driver. Would I be able too get 350whp?
Old 10-15-2016, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this will be my first post in like 3 years, damn ive been absent a while (life happens lol). I have an 03 z71 1500 with i think the same cam, might be a 216/220 but not sure, stock heads, stock nbs intake, LT headers with free flowing dual exhaust, a KN "cold air" intake, and a tune, and im at 300 at the wheels. ur not gonna get 500hp without forced induction imo, unless maybe u do a complete tear down, and replace everything...maybe balanced rotating assembly and stuff like that, not sure. but if ur looking for 500 ur gonna wanna replace ur tranny too. i believe the 4l60 is only rated up to 400 maybe?
Old 10-15-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by marineusmc4
Wow, this will be my first post in like 3 years, damn ive been absent a while (life happens lol). I have an 03 z71 1500 with i think the same cam, might be a 216/220 but not sure, stock heads, stock nbs intake, LT headers with free flowing dual exhaust, a KN "cold air" intake, and a tune, and im at 300 at the wheels. ur not gonna get 500hp without forced induction imo, unless maybe u do a complete tear down, and replace everything...maybe balanced rotating assembly and stuff like that, not sure. but if ur looking for 500 ur gonna wanna replace ur tranny too. i believe the 4l60 is only rated up to 400 maybe?
It doesn't matter now, the engine locked up on me. So now I'm in the process of swapping a 6.0 in there.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ahh ok. well even better
Old 10-16-2016, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How did you manage to lock it up?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Merctech2
How did you manage to lock it up?
The thermostat got stuck which caused the engine to overheat and lock up.

Quick Reply: My first 5.3l