Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT headers do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by krainium
Exactly doing headers before a tune is backwards. Whether it's going to damage the engine or not.
It is impossible to tune for the headers before you install the headers so in every case the headers will be installed before the engine is tuned for them.......
Old 02-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you missed understand my point is your better off tuning a stock engine without headers. Then running headers without a tune which of course when headers are installed you should retune.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Will you state specifically what will be harmed or damaged on his engine if he doesn't get a tune for only headers installed properly with O2s hooked up and working and connected to exhaust piping with no leaks. Be specific. And that whatever that may be that that harm or damage would never occur if the stock manifolds and exhaust were left in place.

BTW I've tuned over 2000 trucks and over 500 cars, many of them running modified exhausts with headers or stock manifolds with no cats for years before bringing their vehicles to me for tuning.
Would you like a cookie ? If you had in fact tuned that amount then you would not be posting as you are

As stated earlier are the reasons if you can't read that then so be it
Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by krainium
I think you missed understand my point is your better off tuning a stock engine without headers. Then running headers without a tune which of course when headers are installed you should retune.
Oh I see. They yes I agree! Sorry for the misunderstanding

Originally Posted by George C....
Would you like a cookie ? If you had in fact tuned that amount then you would not be posting as you are

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that you SHOULD retune with a header install BUT you do not ABSOLUTELY have to retune if you do not have access to a tuner right away.

The problem is, everyone assumes there is only one right answer to a question when, in fact, there may be multiple right answers depending on your particular circumstance.

For the 90% of us that do not tune our own vehicles and of that many a lot of us do not live near our tuners then it is OK to run for a while with modifications untuned if your don't drive like an idiot. If this was not ok then most of us would never be able to mod our vehicles as we have to do it a little at a time as time permits and that doesn't always line up with the tuners schedule.

Now if you tune your own vehicle or live in the same town as your tuner then, yes, you should get a retune after each modification and would be remiss if you didn't.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm running headers with a leaky y pipe and havent retuned! That explains why the sun didnt come up on time this morning?

Some of you guys are really silly!
Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Oh I see. They yes I agree! Sorry for the misunderstanding

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that you SHOULD retune with a header install BUT you do not ABSOLUTELY have to retune if you do not have access to a tuner right away.

The problem is, everyone assumes there is only one right answer to a question when, in fact, there may be multiple right answers depending on your particular circumstance.

For the 90% of us that do not tune our own vehicles and of that many a lot of us do not live near our tuners then it is OK to run for a while with modifications untuned if your don't drive like an idiot. If this was not ok then most of us would never be able to mod our vehicles as we have to do it a little at a time as time permits and that doesn't always line up with the tuners schedule.

Now if you tune your own vehicle or live in the same town as your tuner then, yes, you should get a retune after each modification and would be remiss if you didn't.
yes youre right, it can be driven as long as ppl arent idiots and go WOT everywhere, making the statement like that was done earlier as its safe. No body knows what condition their trucks are in or who were dealing with thru the computer screens. So stating you should be tuned is a safe way of not have failures for anyone, saying its safe and alright to drive around could lead some ppl to believe they can go beat the snout out of their trucks when in fact it will be leaner then prior

when most trucks if you monitor AFR in stock form wont change from stoich till high rpms which in alot of cases isnt till after shift point....
Old 02-17-2015, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amen brother. Short version: tune recommended, but you can get by for a while if you don't go WOT.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry I don't tune for cookies. I post as I do because I have the experience that I have. I tuned 3 trucks today. A 99 5.3L, a 01 6.0L HD and a 08 5.3L. How many did you tune today? Better yet how many have you tuned total?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by batboy
Amen brother. Short version: tune recommended, but you can get by for a while if you don't go WOT.
What hard data do you have to back up that statement?
Old 02-17-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

when most trucks if you monitor AFR in stock form wont change from stoich till high rpms which in alot of cases isnt till after shift point....
Funny how GM will even give you a warranty with them tuned that way from the factory. I wonder why that is?

Quick Reply: LT headers do I need a tune?