Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job man. That intake looks pretty good imo
Old 09-26-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Atomic
Ready to see how it holds up to boost?
Haha I was going to reply sure if you supply the parts for my truck. Then I read you user name and realize who I was taking to... You'd plop this on your truck and put 20+ pounds on it for sure.

I've got an extra intake that I'm going to clean up like this one. Then we can test that one. Maybe I'll stick it onto my Camaro to test it with boost. It's about time to plump the turbo on it.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason Z69
Nice job man. That intake looks pretty good imo
Thanks Jason! I'm really dig'n it.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Thanks for the Update! I was wondering What progress you made.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've made a ton of ABS repairs like this and it is very strong. Ive learned, just like real welding, a stronger joint is created by having filler material. I used scrap ABS pieces cut in strips and used them sorta like TIG welding, heat both edges plus the filler and while they are all hot swirl them together. I have had very good luck doing it. However, not all "plastics" take to it. A urethane (guessing) stock Camaro bumper cannot and will not fuse together like ABS plastic will.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I've made a ton of ABS repairs like this and it is very strong. Ive learned, just like real welding, a stronger joint is created by having filler material. I used scrap ABS pieces cut in strips and used them sorta like TIG welding, heat both edges plus the filler and while they are all hot swirl them together. I have had very good luck doing it. However, not all "plastics" take to it. A urethane (guessing) stock Camaro bumper cannot and will not fuse together like ABS plastic will.
Good info!
Old 09-28-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another tip for the ones who want to try it, repair both front and back if you have access to both sides. I have literally fabricated from scratch 3 dimensional brackets and stuff using sheet abs and patience.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Another tip for the ones who want to try it, repair both front and back if you have access to both sides. I have literally fabricated from scratch 3 dimensional brackets and stuff using sheet abs and patience.
Good one. That'd make it much stronger. That test piece that I keep on my bench was welded on both sides. It is very strong.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never saw this thread until now but looks very nice. I did this for years welding bulkhead fittings and sling/tie down/lifting ears to tanks and the like...pvc, poly, abs etc. You want to chamfer the opening just like in real welding and then begin begin a solid bead around it. The size opening I created is what dictated how many passes I would make, usually creating a pyramid type weld by stacking one pass on the other and working my way out and up. That negated the possibility of leaks and increased the strength. It was similar to making root/hot/cap passes in real welding.

That said, the only thing I would be leery of when using a soldering iron to do your welding (as opposed to a pricey plastic welding gun/correct rod) is the uneven thickness of the weld. Beveling with the addition of a tight fitting plug with your method would probably net very close results to a proper rig though, with the material finding it's way evenly to the bottom of the channel. In either case, the results make that intake very appealing to eye and was worth the effort. Best of luck should you throw boost at it.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BattleSausage
Never saw this thread until now but looks very nice. I did this for years welding bulkhead fittings and sling/tie down/lifting ears to tanks and the like...pvc, poly, abs etc. You want to chamfer the opening just like in real welding and then begin begin a solid bead around it. The size opening I created is what dictated how many passes I would make, usually creating a pyramid type weld by stacking one pass on the other and working my way out and up. That negated the possibility of leaks and increased the strength. It was similar to making root/hot/cap passes in real welding.

That said, the only thing I would be leery of when using a soldering iron to do your welding (as opposed to a pricey plastic welding gun/correct rod) is the uneven thickness of the weld. Beveling with the addition of a tight fitting plug with your method would probably net very close results to a proper rig though, with the material finding it's way evenly to the bottom of the channel. In either case, the results make that intake very appealing to eye and was worth the effort. Best of luck should you throw boost at it.
Great info! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"