Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 08:43 PM
formerly turbo4.8 (2014-06-25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i really like this. may end up doing this myself to clean up my engine bay.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Looks good! You can use a borescope through the throttle body to look at the inside if you really want to.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Wow that is pretty cool and it came out great. Let's see it installed
Thanks Oakley! Check out post number 8. In those two videos its installed and running.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atomic
Looks good! You can use a borescope through the throttle body to look at the inside if you really want to.
Ah good idea! Thanks. Im not really too concerned about it. I'll take pics once I cut it in half to port.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

I would also be interested in how it holds up in the long term.

The process is more of a fusion process.

If you could obtain a spare for this process, It would be cool to use a second intake to cut the patches out of to fill the holes and get a better fit.

I have always wanted to cut one of these open. At 1 time people were practically giving these intakes away.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 PM
formerly turbo4.8 (2014-06-25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the heck would one of these be ported?
Old 06-10-2014, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo4.8
How the heck would one of these be ported?
they cut them in half and then glue them back together
Old 06-11-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TIM Z
What does it look like on the inside ? If you have melted too much you could have " grapes" on the inside hanging , disrupting airflow
i'm sure if he was after all out performance, he wouldnt be modding a truck intake. more for looks, and it looks good.

i would be afraid to put boost or nitrous to it, but it's hard to say without actually seeing the test piece that you melted together. it may be fine.

at idle, if you grab the throttle hard from idle to redline, does the intake flex or buckle any? i think all of the ugly extra plastic was there for rigidity.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
I would also be interested in how it holds up in the long term.

The process is more of a fusion process.

If you could obtain a spare for this process, It would be cool to use a second intake to cut the patches out of to fill the holes and get a better fit.

I have always wanted to cut one of these open. At 1 time people were practically giving these intakes away.
I'll keep everyone posted on how it holds up. Even if my projects fail, I post up so others can learn from it as well.

Another reason I think it'll hold well is because this "fusion process" is probably better then the method they used when they made this intake from the factory. I say this because when I popped those circle ports off of the intake, you could see that they were just heated and stuck on. Just a small ring fused to the intake to hold it on. Im actually mixing the two together. Wish I had a pic to show how it was done at the factory.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i'm sure if he was after all out performance, he wouldnt be modding a truck intake. more for looks, and it looks good.

i would be afraid to put boost or nitrous to it, but it's hard to say without actually seeing the test piece that you melted together. it may be fine.

at idle, if you grab the throttle hard from idle to redline, does the intake flex or buckle any? i think all of the ugly extra plastic was there for rigidity.
All I can say this stuff is strong. Read my last post comparing how it was assembled/fused from the factory. What I have done is stronger. I punched each of these pieces after welding and see zero flex. It is solid.

I think the intake see most vacuum at idle. So every time it idled would be a test.

I'm thinking about mounting it onto my extra motor and riging up my air tank to it to test 20lbs of boost. lol

Quick Reply: LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"