Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding VIDEO "How To"

This is a video of my 5.3 truck intake being shaved using the process of plastic welding to close the holes. Also, all of the vacuum ports and sensors are relocated to the rear of the intake. Truck has been driven for a week now and everything looks good.

This plastic is some strong stuff. I tested the strength by welding two pieces of scrap together and then trying to break them apart. I could not do it by hand. STRONG! I also knuckle punched each hole I plugged and they were solid.

Enjoy!
LSx Truck Intake Shave - Plastic Welding - 5.3 6.0 LS1 LSx - YouTube

Attached Thumbnails LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-photogrid_1399607160759.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-20140503_133010.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-photogrid_1399088469333.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-20140514_205111.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-20140508_180929.jpg  

Last edited by AGearHead4Life; 06-16-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of work but looks nicer.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by timmay208
alot of work but looks nicer.
Thanks. Yea, I've been known to put more labor into things then most would. Kinda like my head porting. But its what makes the vehicle more "Mine". Builds a relationship with it. All the attention to detail. I build cars to keep for life (if they make it that long) not to sell.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:52 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's pretty cool , came out nice . Your very creative .

Now for some questions/comments that are not meant to be offensive,

What does it look like on the inside ? If you have melted too much you could have " grapes" on the inside hanging , disrupting airflow .

I'm betting your patches are not tied in like a true weld , just your top surfaces are melted together , which is fine for N/A , but I would not think it would be strong enough for boost to pass thru .

It's very cool what you have done , but actually your not plastic welding .
Plastic Welding involves a heated iron with a curved tip that hot Air flows thru , and you use plastic filler rod to fill and tie in the two surfaces , just like a weld done on metal . I plastic weld a little at work on PVC piping , works pretty good .

Your intake does look great all smoothed out . Appreciate you sharing .
Old 06-10-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default reply

Originally Posted by TIM Z
That's pretty cool , came out nice . Your very creative .
Thanks Tim!

Now for some questions/comments that are not meant to be offensive,
Great. I welcome ideas and thoughts. Thats how it should be and we all build on our creativity.

What does it look like on the inside ? If you have melted too much you could have " grapes" on the inside hanging , disrupting airflow .
True. I've thought of how sloppy it probably is on the inside. Probably just as sloppy as it was on the outside before I sanded it. But before I welded those plugs in, there where huge 1.5" pits there from the ports. Which is better to have, I don't know. I do plan to take the intake off later and cut it in half to port the inside. At that time I could smooth out my welds. I'll also have a dyno done before that.

I'm betting your patches are not tied in like a true weld , just your top surfaces are melted together , which is fine for N/A , but I would not think it would be strong enough for boost to pass thru .
Im real curious to see how it'd hold to boost also, but I'm sure that if you added back enough plastic it'd be fine. This crap stuck together HARD! I put two pieces together for a test and could not separate them by hand. I keep this sample laying around my garage so that people can try to break it.

What I'm doing basically with the welds its butting up two ends that are angled and the swirling them together. Similar to welding metal. The projects isn't caught very well on video. I looks like I'm only getting the top layer, but it goes all the way through, but at an angle.

It's very cool what you have done , but actually your not plastic welding .
Plastic Welding involves a heated iron with a curved tip that hot Air flows thru , and you use plastic filler rod to fill and tie in the two surfaces , just like a weld done on metal . I plastic weld a little at work on PVC piping , works pretty good .
Ok, I figure plastic welding was the best thing to call it since I'm melting two edges and swirling them together, similar to welding. Except my rod isn't swirling in with the weld at the same time. Actually, I can't think of a better name to call it. So I'd have to leave it as this. Do you have a suggestion of another short title name that will be commonly understood by viewers? That sounded kinda rude, but didn't intend for it to. Its a serious question. I really cannot think of anything else to call this process. "The plastic melt process"? lol

Your intake does look great all smoothed out . Appreciate you sharing.
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the show. I try to share all of my projects.
Hey Tim, I replied above in bold.

Last edited by AGearHead4Life; 06-10-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:04 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Hey bud thanks for replying , I'm really interested in what you have accomplished , it looks damn nice.

Yeah basically like you said it is hard to see all the tiny details in a vid like you can in real life , that's why I asked and commented and I appreciate your replies .

You know It's cool to see what you have done with basically what most of us have in our shops , I never thought of using the soldering iron like that .

And in betting the inside of the manifold isn't as bad as we think , you didn't really melt it that bad on top so unless I didn't see ya burn thru on the vid it's prob fine inside

Put that badboy on a mock up engine and put 20 psi of air in it and tell us if she holds , then the boost guys can mod their factory intakes

Any more pics ? Get some of the inside if ya can .

Thanks !
Old 06-10-2014, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Hey bud thanks for replying , I'm really interested in what you have accomplished , it looks damn nice.

Yeah basically like you said it is hard to see all the tiny details in a vid like you can in real life , that's why I asked and commented and I appreciate your replies .

You know It's cool to see what you have done with basically what most of us have in our shops , I never thought of using the soldering iron like that .

And in betting the inside of the manifold isn't as bad as we think , you didn't really melt it that bad on top so unless I didn't see ya burn thru on the vid it's prob fine inside

Put that badboy on a mock up engine and put 20 psi of air in it and tell us if she holds , then the boost guys can mod their factory intakes

Any more pics ? Get some of the inside if ya can .

Thanks !
Hey Tim, I hope my reply didn't come off rude. I was rushing to get a response out and that explains my edits to the comment. I've got my kids hanging on me.

This intake is currently running on my truck for about a week now. I've got an extra engine that I could set it up on and pressurize.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the first start up video:
5.3 Swap '87 Chevy Truck First Star Up - C10 R10 - 18 May 2014 - YouTube

Heres a closer look of the intake on the running truck during the day and with exhaust on:
5.3 Swap Update! Its in and driving! '87 Chevy Truck - C10 R10 LS1 - YouTube
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the piece that I keep around that shows proof of the strength of the bond when using this process.
Attached Thumbnails LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-20140502_191729.jpg   LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"-20140502_191741.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow that is pretty cool and it came out great. Let's see it installed

Quick Reply: LS Truck Intake Shave Plastic Welding is Easy "How To"