Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

LQ4 truck performance suggestions

Old 08-30-2016, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LQ4 truck performance suggestions

Hey guys new to the forum, been tinkering with my truck (2006 2500HD, CCSB 4x4, 6500lbs curb weight, daily driver/occasional tow rig 5000lb trailer, 4.10 gears) Current mods are, airraid MIT intake tube, ARH 1 3/4" long tubes with high flow cats, custom diablo tune, 3" x-pipe, dual 3" MagnaFlow glass packs, stock 3.5" exit..........so I want a little bit more, most of the time I drive like a grandma, but I like to get rowdy now and then. At first I was thinking l92 heads and truck intake/cam then maybe working my factory heads, then maybe 243's.........the list goes on and on, now I'm thinking maybe just a cam upgrade, Im willing to spend some money but i want it to be money well spent. Basically I want to add some more grunt on the low end, without taking a loss on the top. Don't want to change gears, gas mileage is already bad enough, no forced induction or nitrous. Right now I'm leaning towards a set of cnc'd 243'S and a cam swap, thoughts?!?!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Just a cam swap and real tune will wake it up.

You'll have to choose a somewhat smaller cam with the stock stall converter but it will pick up power regardless.

Toss the diablow as they aren't very good at all and get a tune with HP Tuners or efi live, even buy your own tuning software.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Well I had considered getting HP just because paying someone for my tunes is irritating, but this is actually a custom tune written with the CMR software from data logging with the diablo, not just the boxed tune it comes with, but either way it would be nice to have HP. I had tinkered with the injector trim myself to get the LTFT's in line but you can only go so far and the diablo doesn't support MAF mapping unless you buy their CMR software. Otherwise you can do pretty much anything you want as far as spark timing/WOT fueling and timing. How much is there to gain with HP software other than that I could write my own stuff? And just a cam huh?.........do you think 243's with a matched cam would be a bad move?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

If diablo can't actually change the VE curve and MAF curve it is pretty much useless.

With a cam/heads + headers or just cam/headers the VE table is now wrong and the MAF curve is incorrect too. Those must be changed to have a good working tune. HP Tuners would be the best thing because you can change everything to meet the engines needs.

Diablo is just not the tuning software you want on a GM, they don't do enough.

I'm no expert on cams and specs but if you know you don't want to go crazy and keep your MPG's in mind, that is why I suggested just the cam swap.

You should check what heads even come of those later 6.0, I forget if still are the 317's, those flow great already and swapping to 243's would be if you wanted a bump in compression and more power but again you still limited by the stock stall if you choose to keep it.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah they are the 317's.........mostly i wanted the compression bump of 243's, already running 90 octane. Jegs has cnc'd ones for about 600 a pop, so those those with a matched cam should give some real world gains for hardly any more money than I spent on the headers haha. But then there's the stall thing.......how far down the rabbit hole do ya go lol. I'll do some more diggin on cams, with as open as that exhaust is I really need to help that air along at low rpms. Partially why I was thinking I would benefit greatly from the 243's
Old 08-30-2016, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

243/799 heads are the same, they are pretty much some of the best flowing stock heads out there. You could pick them up for far cheaper than spending $600 on one head.

Or you can just shave the 317's for cheaper, you really aren't losing anything by running them. They flow great as they are and you aren't going for an all out NA build here. Just another option.