Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Look at these plans and poke holes (09 5.3 'build')

Old 02-06-2017, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If youre looking for a 6.0, see if you can find one out of a hybrid, it will have cathedral port heads on it, whereas if you get a 6.0 with rectangular port heads you will need an intake too!
Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like I'm regretting this Diablosport purchase the more I try and figure out what I can actually do with it. Maybe I can recoup some money by selling it and just buying hp tuners like I should have in the first place.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Another month and I've run the EPR through the engine and done an oil change. I have some new spark plugs but didn't get around to putting them in yet. Anyways, still having pinging issues (usually WOT) with the diablosport 87 octane tune, even when I ran a tank of 89 octane. I wanted to try a tank of ethanol just to see if that made it go away but haven't been near a station that offers it recently. Also I had seen that if you didn't go through the advanced menu it would install the 91 octane tune even if you picked 87 but I've been going through the advanced menu the whole time.

I was playing with the injector slope and WOT PE stuff with the diablosport to try and quench the ping with more fuel, and if I'm reading this datalog right I'm still getting ping with an 11.5 AFR (which is not optimal but that's kinda the point). Could it be the plugs? They're only ~10k miles old but when the oil consumption started the two in the DOD cylinders on the driver's side were gunked up a bit (which is why I picked up some new ones in the first place).

I'm hesitant to spend the money on the cam and dod delete kit stuff until I figure out this pinging issue. I guess I could just default back to the stock tune but where's the fun in that? Obviously something is going on here that I want to fix before going any further.

I found a local dyno shop that'll do an HP tuners tune on the dyno for me, but I figured I'm going to wait on that till the cam is installed. Just to double check too, I should be able to drive the truck untuned the ~10 miles or so to the shop, right? After the install? This is assuming the BTR stage 2 btw.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes you should have no issues driving it the 10 miles or so to get the tune done... as far as the pinging, if you are getting oil in the cylinders, that could cause it!
Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adam7
Another month and I've run the EPR through the engine and done an oil change. I have some new spark plugs but didn't get around to putting them in yet. Anyways, still having pinging issues (usually WOT) with the diablosport 87 octane tune, even when I ran a tank of 89 octane. I wanted to try a tank of ethanol just to see if that made it go away but haven't been near a station that offers it recently. Also I had seen that if you didn't go through the advanced menu it would install the 91 octane tune even if you picked 87 but I've been going through the advanced menu the whole time.

I was playing with the injector slope and WOT PE stuff with the diablosport to try and quench the ping with more fuel, and if I'm reading this datalog right I'm still getting ping with an 11.5 AFR (which is not optimal but that's kinda the point). Could it be the plugs? They're only ~10k miles old but when the oil consumption started the two in the DOD cylinders on the driver's side were gunked up a bit (which is why I picked up some new ones in the first place).

I'm hesitant to spend the money on the cam and dod delete kit stuff until I figure out this pinging issue. I guess I could just default back to the stock tune but where's the fun in that? Obviously something is going on here that I want to fix before going any further.

I found a local dyno shop that'll do an HP tuners tune on the dyno for me, but I figured I'm going to wait on that till the cam is installed. Just to double check too, I should be able to drive the truck untuned the ~10 miles or so to the shop, right? After the install? This is assuming the BTR stage 2 btw.
Not to bring a thread back from the dead but curious if you ever got that BTR stage II put in? Looking real hard at that one for my old tank, wondering how it worked out........also as far as Diablo is concerned, my truck spark knocked like crazy when I hammered on it but all the Lq4's ive driven are bad about that, even running 90 octane on their box tune. I had Diablew write me a 90 octane tune and been running that way for over a year now, most i ever see is like 2 degrees pulled even when I'm being mean, used to hit 7 or 8 all the time. Hp is deff the way to go but the diablo might be salvageable yet. Im gunna keep my trinity around just cuz i like the gauge functions.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a BTR2 for sale at the moment...
Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RNSAK
Not to bring a thread back from the dead but curious if you ever got that BTR stage II put in? Looking real hard at that one for my old tank, wondering how it worked out........also as far as Diablo is concerned, my truck spark knocked like crazy when I hammered on it but all the Lq4's ive driven are bad about that, even running 90 octane on their box tune. I had Diablew write me a 90 octane tune and been running that way for over a year now, most i ever see is like 2 degrees pulled even when I'm being mean, used to hit 7 or 8 all the time. Hp is deff the way to go but the diablo might be salvageable yet. Im gunna keep my trinity around just cuz i like the gauge functions.
I literally sold the truck just yesterday. I never did get the cam because I kinda knew I was going to offload it for an SUV with the baby coming. Got an X5 diesel.

Good luck though. Everything I read/saw said the btr2 would have been what I wanted, I never really questioned that.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adam7
I literally sold the truck just yesterday. I never did get the cam because I kinda knew I was going to offload it for an SUV with the baby coming. Got an X5 diesel.

Good luck though. Everything I read/saw said the btr2 would have been what I wanted, I never really questioned that.
Haha no worries man, I emailed BTR a cam worksheet to see what they recommend but I'm betting it'll be a stage II or something real close to it. I hear ya on the kiddo thing, I'm trying to pile up parts over winter so I can slap it together next spring. But mines a crew cab so the daughter can watch Elmo in her car seat in back while I do wicked sweet burnouts lol. And Vortec I might be interested but since I've already reached out to BTR I don't want to be like "hey thanks for the great cam recommendation but im going to buy it from someone else" haha. Eventually I'd like to have a build pretty much exactly like yours. Really my main goal is to just smoke some of your everyday average bros in their diesels that think their untouchable.........while my daughter is watching Elmo in the back seat lol.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:27 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Our new high lift hot cam would be right in the middle (kind of) idle aggressive but be super easy to drive and keep you on a good budget still. Super quiet under the hood as well. Doesnt NEE a stall but is a bit more fun with one. That jegs cam is just too big for a dd cam in a 5.3 for what you are looking for and is also not made of a very high quality material.
$500 shipped for cam and pac1218 springs for pt.net members.

We also have THE BEST prices on afm and dod delete kits.

Second, on exhaust the tsp headers fit VERY well for a budget setup.

Stalls i would say circle D is your best bet. We dont sell them but i have used so many and they are good on a budget for their entry level converters.

That rounds out everything youve got the rest covered.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

07NBSCHEVY pretty much answered every question I was about to ask here on this thread!! Thanks Brother!

I just picked an 07 Suburban 5.3 (LMG) with a slight lifter tap last month (For super cheap). So I went ahead and did the DOD Delete, BTR Stage 2 truck Cam, new ls7 lifters, oil pump, timing chain, and new seals, TSP Long tubes, Y Pipe, to a 3 inch Gibson cat-back exhaust, New AEM CAI is on the way, next week! The truck was tuned, but i'm not sure I really like it??I lost a ton of torque on the low end...That drives me nuts, I need to fix that somehow? Any ideas on how to improve the low end performance?

I was thinking about a tbss intake, but I've been reading and it sounds like a pain in the rear. I have to take a look under my truck, it smells like its running a bit rich, and my MPG has dropped by a good amount, although I do understand thats a trade off with a cammed truck. My ride sounds great, the sound of the BTR Cam working puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up.

Search this Thread